Menu

Contacting the Admission Counselor

TheApprentice

Is this something that is done? Ds's early action applications are done. Should he contact the counselor responsible for his region and let her know that this school is his first choice and if accepted and the financial package was feasible he would absolutely attend? Is this done? Does it yield the desired results?

• Like 1

I would not. I can only imagine that the admissions people would find it amusing and annoying.

If it is a highly selective school, contacting the admissions counselor won't make any difference. They will have tons of students who try everything to show "interest" - and still reject 80+% of perfectly qualified applicants.

If it is a non selective school, one hopes his transcript and test scores should speak for themselves.

ETA: Since this is the Early Application, I would assume it to be tacitly understood that this must be one of the student's top choices and that, barring financial hardship, he will attend. Why else would one bother doing EA?

Now, if the EA decision ends up waitlisted, THEN I would have him contact the school and express that he is still fighting for a spot.

• Like 3

Several of the schools that Sailor Dude has expressed interest in have sent him cards with his Admissions contact name and phone number. Those he has met in person through interviews have encouraged him to call if he has any questions.  I realize this is not exactly the same situation as you are talking about, but we figured if a contact name and number were given along with encouragement to call, then that should be just fine.

Is this something that is done? Ds's early action applications are done. Should he contact the counselor responsible for his region and let her know that this school is his first choice and if accepted and the financial package was feasible he would absolutely attend? Is this done? Does it yield the desired results?

What about calling and asking if there is an option for a local interview?  Or if there are any campus open house events scheduled that he might be able to attend.

I think in the Common Data Set you can check and see if student interest is something that weighs in the admissions process.

Search for the college name and "common data set" .  Question C7 is about which factors are considered for admissions.