Menu

physics instead of chemistry?

2 of my high schoolers are finishing up integrated chemistry & physics (what they took instead of physical science). They will both take biology. For their third credit, could they take physics (which they both enjoy) or is it best for them to take chemistry (which they both hate)? It would be IDEAL for them to get 4 science credits, but one student probably will run out of time, and the other one would like to take marine biology for her 4th. Is chemistry essential? They did get a lot of chemistry in ICP - so much so that they thought they were taking chemistry for some reason LOL. Neither one of them know what they want to do as a career yet so college may or may not happen. If it does though, I don't want to allow them to shoot themselves in the foot by not taking chemistry if it's essential....

For applying as a humanities or business major, it will make no difference.

However, there are a lot of majors that require a semester or year of chem in college, including almost anything STEM or medical related. Depending on interests, they may be glad to have a strong high school level chemistry background.

Do physics now, since that's what they're interested in, but for the student who has another year of science after that, look at chem for senior year as future plans come into a little more focus to see what makes sense.

She's more of a humanities type - art and whatnot. Definitely not STEM, and I'll be SHOCKED if she goes into the medical field (just not her bent).

There has been a lot of chemistry in ICP, so they definitely have an exposure, but it's not a full-blown chemistry course.

The one who will run out of time is leaning toward the Navy at this point...possibly electronics, but he's not sure. Maybe he should check with a recruiter about the chemistry....

The one who will run out of time is leaning toward the Navy at this point...possibly electronics, but he's not sure. Maybe he should check with a recruiter about the chemistry....

Imo he'll need physics even more for that, so I'd still go with physics.

I see absolutely no reason NOT to do physics. Even if they have to take chemistry at college, then they will just take chemistry at college.

For the one who is interested in electronics, physics is a must.

I find that letting students study something they are interested in goes a long way towards success.

• Like 1