Menu

ISO: ideas for staying close to nieces

daijobu

My own dd's are in high school and middle school.  My only 2 adorable nieces are a preschooler and toddler.  They live 1500 miles away, and we see them 1-2x a year.  

What great ideas do you have to stay close to your nieces as they grow up when they live at a considerable distance?  Social media?  Gifts?  Visits?  Now through high school and even college.  

I did not grow up close to any family outside my parents and brother, so I'm really new to this, and I appreciate any ideas, no matter how obvious they would be to you.  Thanks, and I look forward to reading your suggestions!  

There's a book on Amazon called "Grandparenting at Long Distance" which my sister gave my mom, and which I also read - has lots of good ideas of how to stay involved with the lives of loved ones far away. (Obviously those ideas won't just apply to grandparents.)  Skype, letters, read and discuss books together, try to have a similar hobby that you can compare notes over, keep up with happenings at their end of the world so you can talk about them, visits when possible, cards...lots of ideas, but utilize every tool at your disposal, for sure! (Electronic and otherwise.)

• Like 1

I know several friends who read books aloud (& hold up the illustrations) on Skype to their little nieces or grandkids.

Even gives the mom a SLIGHT break from non-stop parenting.

(Also, just ask the Mom for suggestions that would work from her end.)

Another friend sewed Disney dress-up gowns for her nieces--like the blue Cinderella gown with lots of crinoline underneath.

Apparently she taught herself how to sew them, using youtubes.

The nieces are eternally bonded to her now.  So precious to see the connection. :)

• Like 2

Send picture books that you read aloud on CD or some sort of recorder. My brother did this for my dc when they were young and my dd just recently listened to them again at age 13! They are treasured. He did nice things like talked to them by name describing an illustration and made a funny ding sound to help them turn the pages.

• Like 1