Menu

What kind of shoes for Oregon Vacay?

dollhouse

So we are headed to the Oregon coast soon for a week's stay this fall. We will be staying at a beach house with some friends, and the weather is supposed to be highs in the lower 60s and in the 40s at night. Being a San Diego girl, my usual footwear consists of sandals and ballet flats. I have no idea what kind of shoes I should have on this trip--I'd prefer not to wear my running shoes everywhere, and besides that, I have leather boots that I'm not sure I'd want getting wet and cruddy. What type of shoe am I looking for? Help! Thanks so much in advance!

Bog Boots or Muck Boots.    It has been dry the past few days at least, so leather might be fine, and it might even be warm enough for sandals, but you cannot count on that, so a pair of Bog or Muck boots would be great if it turns wet, or cold, or you want to walk into a cold tide pool.

• Like 3

We just use our keen sandals when on the beach. Yes our feet can get cold it is the hazards of Oregon beaches. Keens are rafting sandals so it doesnt bug them to get wet. When not on the beach, we just wear socks and tennis shoes. You can do bogs or muck boots too, I just think the sand is easier to get out of keens and we are used to cold feet.

• Like 1

I second the Keens or like sandals for beach wear. People wear parkas while wading in sandals --the water can be very cold even when the temp is warm. Off the beach, running shoes or whatever. I wouldn't want to ruin leather shoes on a vacation.

I have a pair of Keen sandals too, which I wear in summer, and almost mentioned them, but did not because for me, most days recently where we are, inland of Heceta Head/Florence more or less,  it is already too cold feeling for them except in the hottest part of day, when I could wear them comfortably, but don't bother to change to them.  Mornings right now here are less than 50 deg. F and it is still less than 60 deg heading toward noon, though it went to 78 deg. yesterday afternoon around 2PM.  I am wearing wool socks right now, and will wear light boots when I go out. I do tend to have feet that get painfully cold easily, though. 

• Like 1

Thank you! My kids and dh have Keens, so we'll definitely bring those. I don't have a pair, so I might need to do some shopping this weekend!

I'd be interested in knowing (for the sake of others who may ask me as a local) after you've tried this if you feel that that was warm enough or end up wishing you'd chosen Bog or Muck boots (if Keen sandals are in your budget then probably the boots would be too), or as someone else suggests less expensive rain boots with socks.  Today it has been rainy on and off. 50-something degrees.  Definitely not weather I want to be wearing sandals in.