Menu

Suggestions for 6th grade Language Arts/Grammar?

Diannab

My son is probably at least a year behind, if not more. He goes to public school and is having a lot of trouble. I tend to try to pull him up (I hope I can.). Can anyone suggest a good remedial LA program for him? His reading level is Grade five month 2. TIA!

I don't know if any specific reading/LA program done outside of school will close the gap. The more a person reads the better they get at reading. My suggestion would be for you to sit and listen to him read aloud to you daily for 20 minutes or so. Pick material that is just above a comfortable reading level for him. When he stumbles over a word have him go back and try it again. Correct his pronunciation as you go. Have him read the same selection multiple times until he can read it fluently without errors.

If he has reading homework, use that as the read aloud material.

To improve writing, try some dictation exercises via TWTM or Writing with Ease.

HTH, Stacy

..what is he learning in school for lang.arts/grammar? If you give some details, then maybe someone can suggest something along those lines. For example, I know Shurley English's strength is classifying and Rod & Staff's strength is diagramming. Or, you might just want to get a workbook like Spectrum or Scoring High (if they have lang. arts, I'm not sure). You know, just something from Barnes and Noble or your favorite bookseller to try and shore up those trouble areas.

It's totally fine to get curriculum or a workbook below your child's grade so that the reading isn't such a hurdle to get through. I have my oldest (in gr.6) is doing Shurley English level 3 along with my youngers since we've been out of it for a couple of years and I can teach them all together.

Best wishes!

I'm not sure what you mean by "language arts," exactly (reading? spelling? composition???) but WRTR, which is the manual for the Spalding Method, produces remarkable results in a short amount of time. It would take some work, since he'd have to be doing it after he has already spent several hours in school, but it could be done.

There are other products which might help, i.e., be less time intensive and easier to use after school, such as Victory Drill Book.

Are you *sure* you don't want to hs?

Oh, I homeschool my two littles. It isn't an option to hs him, though it may be in the future. :) Right now, I am just doing what I can. KWIM? I posted an ot thread about it on the general board because I wanted this to stay curricula based. :D He has a 44. I can't talk with the teachers just yet, but we are working on it. :D So, right now I am as blind as everyone else. :) I really want to bring up his writing/grammar. I can help him with reading so I am not so concerned with that. :)

Thanks in advance for all the tips, and the ones already given.

I really want to bring up his writing/grammar. I can help him with reading so I am not so concerned with that.

Oh--you want grammar and writing? I did not understand that when you said "language arts."

Easy Grammar and Wordsmith are both good and easy to use as supplements.