Menu

Apps, programs, methods for review

It sounds like high school means more time reviewing and actually studying (we haven't done many tests yet, except in math, which has built-in review), especially for science and languages. What are your, or your student's, favorite ways of doing that? Is there a flash card type app you like, or do you use good old index cards, or something else? Ideally, it would be something that my student can do on her own, like "read section in science book, answer the questions, input/write vocabulary words, and spend a few minutes quizzing yourself on past cards," because my time is already at a premium, and next year I will add a third portfolio student along with having my first high schooler. I really need to make my time for my oldest to be saved for actual teaching and discussion, not holding flash cards.

I personally think that the physical act of writing on paper flashcards is more effective than typing into a device. But I'm one of those people who learn by writing.

You can build decks in Quizlet. Some common textbooks have decks built already--just search for Miller Levine by chapter!

Anki is a really good platform, because the cards you get incorrect are cycled through more often. It does have a high learning curve, though. We haven't used it.

Dd20 is a flashcard person for French. She also used flashcards heavily for AP bio and AP psych terms.

Dd15 sometimes uses flashcards for Arabic but that's it.

And realize that some people don't like using flashcards (my ds). He found his own way of reviewing by creating study guides on his laptop. Dd15 is moving that way, I think.

• Like 2

I personally think that the physical act of writing on paper flashcards is more effective than typing into a device. But I'm one of those people who learn by writing.

I'm so happy to have found another fan of flashcards.  It's like a little stack of knowledge.   :thumbup1:   Of course it doesn't work for many subjects, but for straight memorization, nothing beats 'em  Plus, you can create your own little algorithms for determining mastery, like if I get it right without looking twice in a row, it goes out of the stack.  

I'm a big fan of these half size notecards.

• Like 2