Menu

Part-time DoDEA enrollment/blended homeschooling

We have the option of using a DoD school next year full time, part-time (for language, music and art instruction) or not at all. Has anyone done part-time enrollment with DoDEA overseas or used any of the materials/resources that are available for loan? I'm wondering how this works in practice. 

No, but I'm commenting to follow. I'm curious. I attended a DoD school overseas for three years in elementary. For the most part they have a good reputation (or did). I have found that different installations have had different general attitudes about HSing, so I'm watching with interest. We're DoD, but I doubt we'll be going overseas anytime soon.

• Like 1

I know over here people have complained about the school having poor communications with parents. I'd talk to a few parents with kids in the school as that seems to be an all-too-typical symptom of dealing with DoD schools (to largely generalize). Here, the elementary school allows us to join in on the extras, but their extras are in the middle of the school day (like music is at 10:30, or art at 2:00) so it would cut into the day a bit for us. Also, the schedule of classes rotates very frequently so what was held on Wed at 10:30 this week is on Thurs at 9:00 a couple weeks later--real example) So I'd make sure that the classes are at times convenient to you, and that they stay consistent time/day of week enough that it's not too disruptive. I know often schools have to hire subs or spouses as it's harder to employ quality people willing to come overseas. Your base may vary. ;)

• Like 1

I can't talk about the logistics etc. but before moving to Turkey our son was doing two mornings a week at the local British Military school in Germany. We were very lucky in that they approached us (homeschooling is very unusual in the UK, so I think that the fact there was a homeschooling kid around was such a novelty soon everyone knew ...) so there was, from the start, an idea that they wanted to help us not we were asking them for help IYKWIM. It was also part of an extensive school system with great staff, music lessons, lots of resources etc. so perhaps different than what you are after.

All that said - it was great. Our son got an opportunity not only to mix with other kids but also other adults, which I think is something very important for HS kids. In all honestly it gave me a break - even if I just spent the time pottering about or sitting in a cafe. He took the bus two mornings a week, so that was a little bit of independance and something new. While obviously you are going to have to take in to consideration the praciticalities and how well it works for your personal situation, I guess this ramble is just to say don't discount all the 'soft' extras this could provide for you and your kids even if it is a bit of a bother or not adding a lot academically.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward part-time for the oldest because the schedule will be more predictable and we NEEEEEED a break from one another (and some outside accountability). I'm undecided about the younger because it seems like the part-time option is less viable. He's also my easy, compliant learner so having him home is no hardship.