Menu

One of my dc hated it.  One of them loved it.  We used the BJU text.  The one that hated DIVE enjoyed the text.  The one that hated the text enjoyed DIVE.  Different strokes.... 

You don't have to use DIVE as he suggests.  It's a tool.  Take the parts that work for your family, and leave the others. 

• Like 1

Not liking it as much as we thought we would. Anyone else? I'm not sure if we will stick it out and finish or make a switch while it's still early enough into the school year.

Same here.

9th grade DD is doing DIVE biology and really dislikes it (the lectures, the presentation of info via links, basically everything about it). She loves science (under normal circumstances), but I think DIVE is killing this for her.  We are looking to change to something different (Science Shepherd, ML, or bio at the community college next semester) before it gets too late.

One of my dc hated it.  One of them loved it.  We used the BJU text.  The one that hated DIVE enjoyed the text.  The one that hated the text enjoyed DIVE.  Different strokes.... 

You don't have to use DIVE as he suggests.  It's a tool.  Take the parts that work for your family, and leave the others. 

This was us exactly. One hated it, one liked it.

For the one that hated DIVE, I used PH as my primary and then just used DIVE to supplement instead of using it as the core of the course.

Same here.

9th grade DD is doing DIVE biology and really dislikes it (the lectures, the presentation of info via links

DIVE lectures are dull in my opinion. I always encourage people to watch the samples. They are representative. I also like to add to every DIVE thread, never, never use the "internet in place of a textbook" option. Always pair DIVE with a textbook the student likes. What I've looked at of his internet links are terrible! Pairing with BJU is always easiest. I won't use BJU for Biology, although we did use it for Chemistry where evolution isn't an issue. It pairs really, really well. But I used PH for Physical and M/L for Biology and for my kiddo that likes DIVE, I paired them both with DIVE. For the DIVE hater, I dropped it after the first semester of ICP and never went back.

DIVE lectures are dull in my opinion. I always encourage people to watch the samples. They are representative. I also like to add to every DIVE thread, never, never use the "internet in place of a textbook" option. Always pair DIVE with a textbook the student likes. What I've looked at of his internet links are terrible! Pairing with BJU is always easiest. I won't use BJU for Biology, although we did use it for Chemistry where evolution isn't an issue. It pairs really, really well. But I used PH for Physical and M/L for Biology and for my kiddo that likes DIVE, I paired them both with DIVE. For the DIVE hater, I dropped it after the first semester of ICP and never went back.

Momto2Ns - I wish I had seen one of your messages before I ordered DIVE. I watched the samples and allowed DD to do the same. I agree that the internet links are terrible, so we have a Biology Exploring Life (Campbell) that we are trying to use but the syllabus DIVE sent for Campbell to line up with the lessons is off (or not helpful - 4 complete chapters listed for week 6).

Thinking about following your lead....dropping it and never looking back.

I agree that the internet links are terrible, so we have a Biology Exploring Life (Campbell) that we are trying to use but the syllabus DIVE sent for Campbell to line up with the lessons is off (or not helpful - 4 complete chapters listed for week 6).

The syllabus he has up for PH Physical Science he originally made for me. It works for the first half of the year and then is WAY off the second half of the year. I made my own and never asked for one to go with M/L Biology, I just made my own there too. It really wasn't too hard to line up his topics. I used the vocabulary that he has at the top of each student lesson page, found what section of the text covered that and made a reading schedule. M/L did have some areas that didn't line up well and it covers a lot more than DIVE does, but if you want to use anything but BJU, you really have to take control yourself.

Thinking about following your lead....dropping it and never looking back.

For a kid that doesn't like the presentation in DIVE, I think this is the best answer. For dd, DIVE did just enough handholding to make science click for her. For the other - it was torture. If you mention it to him to this day (he is my college freshman) he will shudder and say, "never again".