Menu

Puzzling Poll

luuknam

Puzzles!  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What's the biggest puzzle you've ever done (alone or together with others)?

• I've never done any size puzzle
    • A toddler puzzle
    • 50 or more pieces
    • 200 or more pieces
    • 500 or more pieces
    • 5000 or more pieces
    • I have a disability that makes doing puzzles hard/impossible (you can select this if you've done toddler-sized puzzles but would've done bigger ones if only it would've been possible)
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the biggest puzzle your kids (only answer for kids old enough to do bigger puzzles, say, 8yo or older) have ever done (alone or together)? Multiple choice allowed for multiple kids.

• My kid(s) have disabilities that make doing puzzles hard/impossible (so they've only done toddler-size or no puzzles)
    • No puzzles of any size
    • A toddler puzzle
    • 50 or more pieces
    • 200 or more pieces
    • 500 or more pieces
    • 5000 or more pieces
    • All my kids are too young, but I expect that they'll do puzzles of 200 or more pieces when they're old enough
    • All my kids are too young, and I don't think they'll do puzzles of 200 or more pieces when they're older
    • All my kids are too young, and I don't have a clue if they'll do 200 or more piece puzzles when they're older
    • I don't have kids
    • Other
  3. 3. What about your parents?

• No idea
    • I asked and they've never done puzzles of 200 or more pieces
    • I know at least one of them has done 200 or more piece puzzles
    • Other

I hate puzzles.  They literally make me feel anxious when I see all those little pieces laying in a pile on the table.  The thought of sorting them and finding the right pieces makes me feel weird.  Every once in a while I will have a nightmare where I have to do something like a puzzle -- packing endless boxes and arranging them in a room, or some other scenario where I have to create order out of chaos.  I hate it.  I have no idea why though!

I'm wondering about the popularity of puzzles now and in the past. To be clear, in the poll, by "together", I only want to include cases in which the person was a real participant in the puzzle... a kid putting 2 pieces in the correct spot when an adult is doing a 1000 piece puzzle does not count as "having done a 1000 piece puzzle together" (for the kid... the 998 pieces done by the adult would count for the adult).

My hypothesis is that a lot of kids these days have done toddler puzzles (e.g. 12 pieces), but that not many kids have done bigger puzzles (e.g. 200 or more pieces). I suspect that kids in the past were more likely to have done bigger puzzles as well. Finally, I suspect that the people on this forum are quite different from the general population and that we're going to see an over-representation of people whose kids have done bigger puzzles (though I can't control for that, so there's no way of knowing if I'm right).

Regardless, we all love polls, yes?

ETA: just give your best guess if you're not entirely sure about yourself/your kids. Try to avoid answering 'other' if you're in doubt if the largest puzzle you did was e.g. 400 or 500 pieces and just pick 200 or more or 500 or more - the details don't matter too much, it's the general idea.

Not all of my kids are puzzle kids.  One, especially, loves them.  Often dyslexics can struggle in this area when they are young.

My mom is extraordinarily good at puzzles.  She doesn't do them now, but I remember when I was young, she often had a table set up with a puzzle in progress.  I wish she'd do it now. :)

I have fond memories of working on 1,000 piece puzzles during the week between Christmas and New Years as a child with my parents. Maybe I'll have to re-instate that tradition this year, although my kids are still young so maybe a 500 piece puzzle would be more manageable...

We have done a couple 1000 piece puzzles as a family (mostly the teens and I).  We prefer 500 piece puzzles at the most as they get done quicker and are more enjoyable.  The younger ones will pull out the simpler puzzles (10-100 pieces) we have on occasion.  Everyone helps when we do puzzles but you can definitely tell which children can see the patterns more easily than the others.

My father does elaborate and large puzzles regularly.  I remember doing puzzles with my mom when I was a teen.  I had several fantasy themed puzzles on my walls growing up.

I'm wondering about the popularity of puzzles now and in the past. To be clear, in the poll, by "together", I only want to include cases in which the person was a real participant in the puzzle... a kid putting 2 pieces in the correct spot when an adult is doing a 1000 piece puzzle does not count as "having done a 1000 piece puzzle together" (for the kid... the 998 pieces done by the adult would count for the adult).

My hypothesis is that a lot of kids these days have done toddler puzzles (e.g. 12 pieces), but that not many kids have done bigger puzzles (e.g. 200 or more pieces). I suspect that kids in the past were more likely to have done bigger puzzles as well. Finally, I suspect that the people on this forum are quite different from the general population and that we're going to see an over-representation of people whose kids have done bigger puzzles (though I can't control for that, so there's no way of knowing if I'm right).

Regardless, we all love polls, yes?

ETA: just give your best guess if you're not entirely sure about yourself/your kids. Try to avoid answering 'other' if you're in doubt if the largest puzzle you did was e.g. 400 or 500 pieces and just pick 200 or more or 500 or more - the details don't matter too much, it's the general idea.

I don't know how many of the kids DID them, but I know the gift exchange in my son's 1st grade class were puzzles. They gave each other 45-100 pc puzzles.  That does seem to be a size that one can sit down and do in one sitting. My oldest is barely 8 so I can't really answer your poll. But I think the break point may be where it takes more than 1 sitting to do the puzzle.

Other than as a teenager, (And then I don't remember how big the puzzle was. My sister wanted it for her wall) I can't remember doing a super-big puzzle at all.  We have some 500pcs at home I want to do with the kids. But we have not gotten them out yet partly because I am intimidated!