Menu

"You're Not My Real Mom"---picture book for older adopted kids that addresses this

Ottakee

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1367769515/as-real-as-it-gets-a-picture-book-for-older-adopte/description

This book is written by one of my close friends Amanda Barton.  She and her husband adopted 3 African American children through foster care, ages 1 1/2, 3 1/2, and 5 1/2 at the time.  8 months later they had a bio daughter born, and 2 years later bio son.  They had over 30 foster children and currently have guardianship of a 15 year old boy that was one of their foster children as a baby.

The book hits those feelings of YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM that so many of these kids deal with, esp. those adopted transracially or as older kids that have memories of their birth families.

I am just trying to get the word out about the book (first in a series) that hits the hard issues of adopting kids that have memories of their previous families in a loving way.  Support would be great (you get a copy of the book for your support) but just getting the word out would be great.  Feel free to share the link to any foster/adoptive families you know.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 6

Ottakee,

May I cut and paste your whole post on my fostering group on Facebook?

YES PLEASE.  Everyone, feel free to share this.  There are just no picture books for AA kids adopted by white families that address these issues.  This has been a burden of hers for years and despite many setbacks it is becoming a reality.

The illustrator of the book has some art at Art Prize which is one of the biggest public art shows in the US. www.artprize.org

http://www.artprize.org/joel-schoontanis/2015/life-new-life-full-life

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just an update for those of you waiting for this book.

IT IS ALMOST DONE.  Ok, the book is done and ready for the printers.  Hoping it will be ready to ship in just a few short weeks.  I have seen a PDF file of the book and it is awesome.  Amanda presented it at a local school yesterday.

The little boy featured in the book is her son and the story is his.  He was adopted at 3 1/2 and is now 20.  In a few short weeks he will be going to Chicago for a possibly life saving bone marrow transplant for his sickle cell.

If anyone is interested in the book once it is back from the printers, let me know and I can link you up with how to get 1 or more copies.  I am going to be helping her package and ship the books.  Coming next is a book about a little girl adjusting to her new adoptive family (of aliens in the little girl's mind).  After that, book 3 will focus on a Hairy Mess........white parents learning the hair care and culture of their African American children and how important it is to maintain those ties for the kids.

• Like 2

I would love to know how to get copies of this book.

Anne

If you want to pre-order go to http://westolivepress.com/pre-order-form/and either mail it by snail mail or copy and paste into the contact form.  You might even get a package addressed and brought to the post office by little old me :-)

The books should be ready to ship in April.  

• Like 1