Menu

Need some ideas / help....

My husband and I are talking about splitting the homeschool section off of our losbanos site and turning it into it's own site with its own domain.

However I don't have a clue about what it should be called!!

I really wanted to call it Otter's Homeschool, but after looking around online I saw there are a lot of places called things like Otter's books and so on that are too close to what I am doing to use that name.

I don't want to step on anyone's copyright, etc.

Soooooooooooooo.....if you've been to my site:

www.OurLosBanos.com/homeschool

do you have any ideas as to what a good name would be?

I want it to be:

1. easy to remember / catchy

2. easy to spell

3. possibly related to some sort of "mascot" I can incorporate into my free curriculum like Otter's science

4. NOTHING related to los banos - sorry I really dislike the name of my town which means "the baths"

Any ideas?

I may also redo the entire site's look....and I'm not sure in what direction I want to go in with that either.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask you ladies and see if anyone came up with a brilliant idea. ;)

*bump*

*sniff sniff*

;)

Ok...since I didn't get any responses, how about this...Any techy moms here?

I always wanted to know what people were using on their websites to have comments, etc. without using a blogging site. I finally stumbled across WordPress the other day and found out it's FREE (yay!).

I've always used Dreamweaver to create sites and have never used anything like Wordpress before. I was just wondering if anyone here uses it. If so - what do you use to edit it? I really don't want to hand code. I quit hand coding a Looooooooong time ago. I found a plugin that will let me see Wordpress PHP in Dreamweaver but it's $30. I'd like to do the same thing only for free, lol....

I guess I'm just hoping that someone here has any ideas on how to do Wordpress in a wysiwyg environment.

Also, does anyone here have their own site with RSS? I'm trying to figure out how much my traffic will spike if I include RSS. I don't want things to get really expensive, but I want the convenience of letting people subscribe to my blog or different sections of the (new) site in the future.

I have no advice or real knowledge on the website/blogging/etc... issues, but wanted to say that I love your site & all the wonderful lesson plans you have shared (for free). So, if you do change, please promise you tell us the new site name! :001_smile: (You probably don't know how many times I've referred folks to your website. LOL.)

Thanks for the replies!

I decided to name it guesthollow.com. :001_smile: This way I can branch out in the future if I want to (maybe sell my art or??) - things don't have to be limited to homeschooling, anyway.

I'm going to totally redo the graphics, etc. and kind of envision brambles and berries and whatnot...I will definitely let everyone know when I make the switch!

It's going to take awhile since I want to give it a complete makeover and because I have so many pages, etc....but hubby bought me my domain name and paid for it for the next 10 years! :D

I'm really excited!