Menu

Does your dog or puppy dislike being petted?

I posted Monday about the possibility of returning our puppy to the breeder. The animal behaviorist (Ph.D., a professor at the university veterinary teaching hospital near our home) we hired concluded that our puppy's behavior is NOT normal puppy behavior and that she's extremely anxious (enough to warrant a prescription of generic Prozac).

Anyway, as I've been corresponding with the behaviorist, I realized something else "odd" about our puppy--she does not like to be petted. She's stiff or she falls over, she lowers her head, she freezes when scratched on the chest, her tail NEVER wags. It's like she hates to be petted.

Is this weird???

We had a dog like this and ended up finding another home for him. He was a puppy, and the only time we could pet him was when he was in a deep sleep. Otherwise, he would bite (not hard - but his teeth were sharp & it hurt!) or chew on our hands. We tried giving him lots of chew toys and redirecting him, but it didn't help. It was very miserable, because we wanted so much to like him, but couldn't touch him.

Yes, I think it is strange. Our dog's tail never stops wagging. I figure his tail wagger must be the strongest muscle in his body. He's also never stiffens when we pet him. He is always eager for more human touch, basically.

Every dog I've had, all I have to do is say something to them and their tails have started wagging.

RC

She just stands stiffly OR she rolls onto her back (you would think she wants her tummy rubbed but it's actually that us touching her or trying to touch her makes her stressed--at least that's how the animal behaviorist interpreted it).

Wow, every time I write more about her "defects" I start thinking more and more that we should just try to return her to the breeder. :crying: I pulled the contract out last night and we can return her any time, essentially no questions asked. How would we explain THAT to the kids?