Menu

What is 2nd year ASL?

My day has consisted of a crash course in ASL, and ASL for high school credit.

I've searched past threads, but I'm still unsure about what, exactly, makes up the second year of high school ASL.

Anyone have links to textbooks or courses that detail the year 2 scope and sequence?

I've looked at various online courses, but it seems that they mostly only cover the first year of credit.

I came across this, and there seems to be a lot there. Lots of grammar, culture, and vocabulary. Does that go far enough to cover a second year credit?

I don't know what is considered high school.  i have heard  people say that 1 semester in college = 1 year in high school.   I am using ASLuniversity (lifeprint is the other website name-same material)

It is 4 semesters of college work (1 is free on the websites,the videos for 3 and 4 are free on youtube)  You can purchase a CD (20) with 1 and 2 and all the other stuff from the website.  You can purchase a usb drive with year 3(these are higher quality videos, but the sessions are shorter-my kids have started them but I haven't.  I'm guessing some of the repetition and practice has not been put in those.)  

We found that semester 1 and 2 were quite doable in a high school year so I am using courses 3 and 4 for the second year of ASL.  We also will attend a free local class for 10 weeks this year.   

• Like 1

I don't know what is considered high school.  i have heard  people say that 1 semester in college = 1 year in high school.   I am using ASLuniversity (lifeprint is the other website name-same material)

It is 4 semesters of college work (1 is free on the websites,the videos for 3 and 4 are free on youtube)  You can purchase a CD (20) with 1 and 2 and all the other stuff from the website.  You can purchase a usb drive with year 3(these are higher quality videos, but the sessions are shorter-my kids have started them but I haven't.  I'm guessing some of the repetition and practice has not been put in those.)  

We found that semester 1 and 2 were quite doable in a high school year so I am using courses 3 and 4 for the second year of ASL.  We also will attend a free local class for 10 weeks this year.   

That makes sense. I was thrown by this on lifeprint that says 1 class is 4 college credits but 0.5 high school credits.

I see where lifeprint sells level 3, but I'm not seeing any mention of level 4 ???

Dd just finished semester 2 of ASL at the CC. It included more vocabulary (of course), more conversation, more grammar and more deaf culture. Story telling was also included and really hadn't been in SL1. 

They used this book across the two semesters.

The Master ASL site says: "The Master ASL! textbook spans a full year / two semester / three quarter course of study appropriate for both high school and college-level programs."

So one semester college ASL /= one year high school ASL???

I'm confused....

Let's put it a different way - if someone said they had 2 years high school ASL, what level of proficiency would be expected?

The 4th semester videos are on youtube.

That must mean that it is a 4 hour class.  That also indicates that the semester course in college equates to a semester in high school and I would agree for this course.  

This link takes you to Lesson 45 which is in the 4th semester.  You might be able to get from there to the others.

My guess is that there isn't a set level of proficiency for each year of high school. 

I've never known a high school to offer ASL. The only proficiency levels I know are college. I gave 1 credit for each semester of ASL just as I would have for any other foreign language.

Here are the ASL book lists for an area high school:

ASL Year 1 and Year 2

Also used in ASL Year 1 and Year 2

ASL Year 3

So it looks like Master ASL does cover two years of high school study, which would be the same as two quarters of 5 class hours per week (or two semesters? we are on quarters here so I'm not sure how semesters equate) of college study. 

• Like 1