Menu

Catholic Moms - Middle school English curriculum?

bluebonnetgirl

For religious reasons, I would like to switch out of ACE School of Tomorrow English to a Catholic or secular English.  My soon is presently doing 6th grade level ACE English, which I understand runs a bit advanced compared to other providers.    He is also doing Total Language Plus, which covers reading, spelling and vocabulary and some writing (there are quarterly book reports), but I need a solid grammar program.

When he gets done with 6th ACE English (or maybe before if I can find a seamless fit), I am considering Seton English.  I have heard Seton's English program is very good.  Are there any other good Catholic English grammar providers?  I have heard that CHC is too gentle.

For a secular option I am considering Analytical grammar or Easy Grammar.

He will also be doing IEW and probably another Literature course when finished with 6th grade ACE English.

If it helps, he is a visual learner, struggles with attention to detail, but catches onto patterns and loves a good story.

Thoughts?  Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

For religious reasons, I would like to switch out of ACE School of Tomorrow English to a Catholic or secular English.  My soon is presently doing 6th grade level ACE English, which I understand runs a bit advanced compared to other providers.    He is also doing Total Language Plus, which covers reading, spelling and vocabulary and some writing (there are quarterly book reports), but I need a solid grammar program.

When he gets done with 6th ACE English (or maybe before if I can find a seamless fit), I am considering Seton English.  I have heard Seton's English program is very good.  Are there any other good Catholic English grammar providers?  I have heard that CHC is too gentle.

For a secular option I am considering Analytical grammar or Easy Grammar.

He will also be doing IEW and probably another Literature course when finished with 6th grade ACE English.

If it helps, he is a visual learner, struggles with attention to detail, but catches onto patterns and loves a good story.

Thoughts?  Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Since you're doing IEW, you only need a grammar, right? For only grammar, my favorite is Easy Grammar. I wouldn't consider it more "boring" than any other grammar. :-)

I looked over the samples of Seton's English and didn't see anything remarkable.

What about Mother of Divine Grace? It's classical.

The old version of vie is supposed to be thorough and rigorous (similar to r&s but Catholic), though I haven't used it. The uber patriotic cheerleading in the samples really turned me off. It has been renamed lepanto grammar. There are lesson plans available from olvs and Kolbe. Cathy Duffy has the review under voyages in English 1950ish edition.