Menu

Music Masters CD Collection- Anyone have this or BF Books History of Classical Music?

Annie Laurie

I am wondering about this cd collection and if there's a website that sells it where I can find out what songs are on it and maybe hear a sample?

Here is the Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music curriculum that uses this:

http://www.bfbooks.com/s.nl/it.A/id.470/.f

It's listed as 4th-8th grade; if anyone here has used it, I'm wondering if it would work for a very motivated and interested 2nd or 3rd grader at a much slower pace?

Barnes and Noble also sells them and has samples. Here is (hopefully) the link to The Story of Bach:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/The-Story-of-Bach-in-Words-and-Music/e/047163850028/?itm=1

We started this last year when my daughter was in 3rd grade. We do one lesson every other week and we skip writing the vocabulary and I do some of the other writing. We like it and I recommend it. It also has the types of instruments in addition to learning about the musical periods and composers.

Tracy

We are listening to these as part of Beautiful Feet's program. By the way, if you do not have the BF core booklet in hand, you might not know that other books are used in the program. Rainbow Resource did not make that clear in their catalogue. We were all gungho to start, and all I had was the BF booklet, the time line, and all the CD's. Not gonna happen!

Now on to the CD's. The sound quality is OK but not great. They were digitally remastered from cassettes. From some reason, some selections sound better than others. For example, on the "Vivaldi" CD, the sections in which the music is interspersed with the narrator's voice is inferior sound quality, but then tracks 13 and 13 are simply Vivaldi's "Autumn" and "Winter" from the Four Seasons. Those sound much better.

These CDs are not kiddly in the least. Some might even call it dry. That could be good or bad, depending on your children. For my son, it is good because he has ZERO tolerance for kiddly things. He's nine and in the fourth grade. They are not even in the same ballpark as the Classical Kids series. My son likes that series, but was frustrated that the narration and story overlapped with the music. On this one, the narrator is quiet while the music is playing, even if it is a short snippet.

The calm tone of the narrator's voice might prove to be too easy to ignore. My son, who remembers everything he READS, couldn't even tell me where Vivaldi was from! (Or his nickname, the "red priest.")

You know, even if it turns out that he doesn't retain the information, I am learning a TON and wouldn't give it up for the world.

Let me know if you need to know the other required books for the BF program.

Best,

Julie