Menu

Apps for math facts?

ErinSo

My DD8 (2nd grade) needs some practice on addition facts.  I am not too worried about her memorizing all of the facts or being able to respond on a timed test, but I feel like she needs to get more comfortable with them to allow her to continue doing well in math in general.  The apps we have tend to all have a time factor which really stresses her out.  She has trouble even trying to do the math because she is so worried about the blah blah that is going to happen in however many seconds.  lol.  Any suggestions for low pressure apps to practice addition and subtraction?

All for iPad, all free or at least some version is free, these are the math drill apps we have:

1. Math Cards -- Can do +,-, x, /.  Has options for how many questions, what numbers to use in the questions (in a range of 0 to 10 for addends/subtrahends/etc) and you can turn the timer on and off.  It is pretty good but sometimes the settings don't stick, it will start a random 0-0=0, 0-0=0 cycle (just close app and restart, will work fine again), and it has ads -- none are the end of the world but I find my kids "accidentally" hit the ads whenever they feel like being distracted.  Kid-friendly look.

2. Mental Math -- Can do +,-, x, /, or mixed operations.  can't choose what your practice numbers will be (so you can't focus +8 like with Math Cards), but does go above +10. Has 3 levels: Easy, Medium, Hard.  In each level you can do "practice" or "timed challenge", the difference between them only being one is has a rundown timer and the other is does not.  Clean look.  

3. Flash to Pass -- Can do +,-, x, /, or mixed operations.  You can "Play by Difficulty" or "Play by Number".  Difficulty has 6 different levels, and the Number option lets you focus on any number 1-24.   Has timer optional.  Has an ad banner on top.  The interface doesn't look as great and can be overwhelming just because it looks like a ton of buttons (if I want my kids to use this I have to set it up).  But, I haven't found anything else with more options to focus on certain numbers, at least for free.  

We also use Reflex Math by subscription for facts, but I have so many math apps I can't even keep track. Two that have attracted my son's attention for extended periods that might fit the bill include Math Heroes 1 (martial arts themed, this is for addition and there are separate apps for each of the four operations I believe), and Operation Math from Spinlight (spy themed and there is some sequel to this too).

Other math apps he has liked involving basic operations, but they are not all timed math facts and I am not as familiar with some of them, include Mathemateer (although he spends too much time building rocket ships), Marble Math, Mystery Math Town/Museum, Math vs Zombies, and Sushi Monster. If I recall, Flashcard Ninja didn't seem bad to me, but my son didn't really go for it. I think with the exception of Mathemateer, which I know I paid for, they were all discounted to free at some point, but likely cost something now. Generally speaking, they mainly do have themes that might be construed more as boyish than girlish, I notice.

ETA: rereading your post, that you don't necessarily want timed, let me suggest you do look at either Mystery Math Town or Mystery Math Museum. It is kind of quirky and enjoyable and has an ambiance. The parent can customize the operation I believe as well as how difficult the questions are (like adding 1 digit numbers only or 2 digit, etc). It is not a "boy" app. I would not say it is the most efficient at drilling facts but you are definitely doing math (no way around that), it is engaging, and there is no time limit/pressure. It is also slightly more conceptual because you are filling in addends to make a particular sum, rather than adding two set numbers, so you have to consider possible combinations of numbers.