Menu

Torn soft tissue/ligaments in knee

J-rap

We got the results back from my daughter's MRI, and she has several tears of soft tissue/ligaments in her knee.  They are referring us to an orthopedic surgeon.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Does it usually require surgery and then rehab?  If surgery, is it usually urgent?  (Or can we put it off for awhile?  She's just starting college next week.)  The accident actually occurred 6 weeks ago, while she was away at camp all summer, working.

If the injury occurred while she was away working for the summer any required medical care should be covered under workers comp.  You may want to start by speaking with her employer to find out what you need to do to ensure you are following the necessary steps to have it covered.

If the injury occurred while she was away working for the summer any required medical care should be covered under workers comp.  You may want to start by speaking with her employer to find out what you need to do to ensure you are following the necessary steps to have it covered.

Yes, we know it will be a workers comp issue.  They did record it at the time that it happened and gave it a case number (or something like that).  I know very little about how this works though... if it only covers certain doctors and certain clinics, etc.  We'll be looking into all of that.  Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, unfortunately, I do have experience with this.  Last fall my son tore his ACL during football practice.  He tore the ACL at the end of August, MRI diagnosed the tear in early October, and he had reconstructive surgery in November. He continued with physical therapy until the end of May.  He's now fine, albeit with scars on his knees, but otherwise fine.  He spent this summer at Boy Scout camp for 8 weeks with no issues.

Edited to add:  He actually tore his ACL all the way through.  It just snapped like a rubber band.  He had a partial tear on his LCL and some bruising-type injury on his meniscus, but those healed on their own.  The surgery was to reconstruct the ACL.

Was the surgery an out-patient surgery?  Did it require him to take off much time from school, etc.?  We don't know the exact details yet of my daughter's MRI.  Just that it was very obvious multiple tears. 

If it can't wait until Christmas, look for a fall break if they have one, or check it against her exam schedule. Try not to schedule it during an exam week. Inform the professors in advance and you actually might want to see if disability services can help. Work ahead as much as possible in every class so that she can (if possible) have a week or two when she's all caught up. And if she is not near you, I would highly recommend that a family member go out there and book a week in a hotel to stay with her just in case it hits her harder than anticipated. 

• Like 1

My daughter had ACL surgery and missed one day of class, the day of the surgery. It was outpatient. She used crutches on campus the next day and then ditched them. She took Percoset in the hospital but not at home, despite the fact that they nearly required us to fill the prescription before we left with her.

A lot of ligament tears will heal on their own, though, if the tear is not complete, and a torn meniscus does not always have to be repaired (my daughter was a level 10 gymnast and competed for an entire season on a torn meniscus). The surgeon may very well not recommend surgery. We were referred to one for the meniscus but walked in and told him the answer we wanted, which was not to have surgery. We had no such choice on the ACL, though.

ETA: I did drive her to campus for a few days and dropped her off, but she had to walk all over campus on her own.

• Like 1