Menu

Anyone NOT a "relaxed" homeschooler?

I'm aiming for the sweet spot: not to rigorous, not too relaxed. I kind of go by what the boys "should" do and what they are "comfortable" doing. I want to be just at the point where they've got days they have to stretch their thinking muscles, and days that they can settle in for a good, comfortable run over practiced ground. 

I think my curriculum is pretty decent for their age and abilities. But I'm more than happy to slow down, speed up, or backtrack when we need to. 

My favorite book about education has to be The Abolition of Man. In it, Lewis makes the comment that the modern educator doesn't have jungles to cut down, but deserts to irrigate. To me, that implies a good bit of effort on the educator's part: you are going do a lot of digging, a lot of planting, and a lot of watering. But it also implies patience and good plant selection. Some days, I'm pretty sure that I've got clay soil, rocks and Nutgrass instead of deserts to try to make gardens out of. Some days I get to hoe a lot. Other days, it's better I not till the thing to death, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 3

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - sometimes when older homeschoolers tell moms with  young kids to relax on this board it is because the younger moms do not understand developmental levels and are expecting too much if their child fits developmental norms.  (Of course not all kids do).  

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!  This is often the case if I'm preaching "relax."

Analyze, dissect, criticize, and all that...but just not in kindergarten.  There are windows of opportunity that are quickly passed if we are too busy pushing skills that can be attained later.  6-7-8yo children should not be wasting time on grammar if they are not yet reading.  That is my unprofessional opinion.  3-4-5yo children should not be pushed into holding a pencil if they are not yet masters on the monkey bars and bicycles. 9-10-11yo children shouldn't be pushed into algebra if they are still struggling with elementary arithmetic.  12-13-14yo children shouldn't be pushed into essay writing if they cannot write a simple narration.  All of this is just my opinion, but there it is.  Relaxed.

I have a definite aim.  Many children will zip through the developmental processes faster than expected.  Some don't.  Some are slower.  My aim doesn't change b/c the timeline does.  Relaxing can mean allowing the needed time.  Even within my small family, I see a wide range of developmental timelines.

And, at the end, my aim is not "correctness" but the ability to deal directly and purposefully with ideas across all disciplines.  My mantra is along the lines of "Give me something to work with, and then we can polish."  

I've been prepping for some composer study, remembering why I admire pluck in a kiddo, no matter how incorrect she (or he) may be.

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.†– Beethoven   

Beethoven's core idea applies to writing and math and so much more.  

• Like 7