Menu

WTM Academy and AoPS classes on Chromebook?

I just bought Chromebooks for my kids for their online classes, and then I received an email from WTM Academy indicating the software would need to be downloaded for the lectures. I did search here and found someone saying her son had to use a different computer to listen to the lectures, because the software couldn't be used on a Chromebook. I've found the WTMA handbook and see now that it says:

We’ve chosen classroom software which is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.  Most multimedia computers or laptops made within the last five years (which have a video camera and headphone jack) are capable of running our software.

A headset/mic combo and reliable internet connection is required. DSL and cable are strongly recommended over satellite internet, since satellite delays will prevent smooth communication in our courses.

• Bandwidth: DSL/Cable required.  Satellite causes about a 1 second delay in video/audio (minimal effect on interaction).
  • OS – Windows & Mac OS X
  • Browser – Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome (stable channel), Firefox (final release channel).
  • Java – the latest version of Java is recommended for full functionality.
  • Headset – required to prevent feedback and echos during audio transmission.
  • CPU/memory – At least 1 GHz Intel processor (Core 2 Duo recommended) with 1GB memory.

So while the Chromebooks meet all of the bulleted requirements, they're still not going to work because of the downloading aspect. Has anyone found a workaround?

Alcumus works on the Chromebooks, but do the AoPS classes? I can't find any information about that. 

AoPS classes would work on chromebooks. It works on my kids iPads and Kindles. Same software requirement as Alcumus so easy peasy. Its all text for AoPS classes which I like as my boys sometimes do their AoPS classes while at the library on hot days.

ETA:

Aops class works on Surface too. We tried instore when kids were at Microsoft camp.

• Like 1

Take this with a huge grain of salt since I am technologically illiterate... However we were looking into ways to get a chromebook and still have the kids play minecraft on it. Apparently you can put the chromebook into developer mode and install Linux. Then you can install minecraft and any other program that uses Java (as long as it's an Intel based chromebook and not an ARM chromebook). Linux supports Firefox.

This is all parroting from the Internet. I have not actually tried any of it, but I assume that would be the process to attempt a workaround for the classes?

• Like 1

That's true, but Linux would have almost the same problem, because the software that needs to be downloaded is for Windows and MacOS. I could maybe install a virtual machine, but that's a lot to demand of a little Chromebook. It's possible there's a Linux version of the software, but they don't mention it. Without knowing what the software is, I can't check. Thanks for your thoughts!