Menu

Painting Woes

beaners

I have little artists in my house who have trouble remembering that their wall is not a canvas. My husband took some of them with him on a trip, so I have been trying to repaint their room. I have put five coats of primer over a section where they used markers. It is KILZ and I am following the directions. The color is still bleeding through. They get home tonight and I need to get the color coat on and dry. It won't be done in time.

My husband told me we should just put a pokemon poster over that part of the wall.

All walls covered in markers or pencils need primer first. Crayons can be removed with Goo B Gone or something similar prior to painting. If you are already too far gone in the project, think about getting some peel-on wall stencils.

I've done some really bad walls this summer. Walls that really needed to be taken down and redone but there was just.no.time. Ugh.

Two things for really bad walls - use the better, more expensive Kilz - for my purposes the original seemed watery and took multiple coats OR you could try one of the BIN primers by Zinsser. BIN really did it for the wall/cabinets I was having the most trouble with. I think I used the 123 stain blocker, water based but you could ask at your local store for suggestions.

We too have a couple of places where art must be strategically placed on said walls, lol. :glare:

Georgia (looking forward to gutting a couple of rooms in a few years...)