Menu

Which typing program for 8 y/o with multiple LDs?

I am looking for a typing program for my nearly 8 y/o ds who has dyslexia, dysgraphia, adhd, and maybe a bit of asd. I have narrowed down my choices, and now need to decide between Touch-type Read and Spell, and Read, Write, and Type. Both programs claim to reinforce reading and spelling skills, in addition to teaching typing. Have any parents here used either of these programs with their kids with LDs? Do you have a preference? I am leaning toward Read, Write, and Type, mostly because I can buy a 5-year license for $35, vs. a 1-year subscription for $80ish if I buy Touch-type Read and Spell. Thanks!

We ADORE RWT/Talking Fingers.  You really can't go wrong with it.  

Fwiw, my dd never did succeed at typing till I switched her over to Dvorak, an alternate keyboard.  With my ds, I decided to go that way from the beginning.  We're not hyper diligent about working on it, just saying that's what I'm having him do.  I used the Mavis Beacon for mac with dd because it had dvorak lessons.  With ds I just sit there and point to him where the new key is.  It messes up their adorable storyline, and maybe it wasn't even necessary for him.  If he's having issues though, Dvorak can be really stellar.  Of course I keep saying this and almost no one bites.  :D

• Like 1

Adding:  I don't think the other program existed yet when I was looking, or if it did I did not know about it.  But ds finished up RWT (talkingfingers) at a time that we had access to computer that could do it.  He might have gone back through it again for help in increasing his speed, but by the time we finished we were not looking for another same level program anymore.  Which tends to be the sign of a program that worked well.  We tend only to be able to compare programs where something did not work and we had to try something else.  He has used Typing Instructor Platinum also, but it was at a different level and with a different purpose (and also because it did not take internet access for us to be able to use it).

• Like 1

Fwiw, you don't actually change the keyboard to do a different layout.  You just go into language preferences and change the language the keyboard is using.  

Do you not use a Dvorak rubber overlay of the other letter system on top of the keyboard, or anything?

Do you not use a Dvorak rubber overlay of the other letter system on top of the keyboard, or anything?

Well, as the point is to learn without looking at the keys.... I would say no. In fact there are blank overlays you can buy while learning typing to stop you from looking at the keys.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Nope.  My dd took to pecking, so NO WAY am I giving them labels on the keys.  You can use google image and find a pic of the keyboard to print and tape beside the screen. That way they're looking UP.

As another view (not Dvorak related), I and my dyslexic bro learned to type without the keys covered.  Not to the point of being professional typists, but good enough for college, to professional purposes.  I have been letting my dyslexic son also learn without keys covered.