Menu

Any thoughts on "a point is a point is a point" grading

I was introduced to a system with the BJU Linc Chemistry teacher and his grading policy (if I understand it right) is intriguing. HE tells the students basically that every point earned in the class is of equal value.

This means for a semester grade, that if a student gets:

25 of the 30pts possible on homework;

20 of 25 on the quizzes total;

370 out of 400 for the tests,

then their grade would be:

25 + 20 + 370 = 415

and that 415 divided by the total possible points of 455 or 91%.

I like the idea because my children tend to rush thru their homework as it is required but not graded (in the past). I have tended to grade almost strictly from test grades primarily because I feel it is the most objective way I can give grades.

What do you think of this grading system? Pros? Cons?

Thanks

Lisaj

for more "quantifiable" classes like chemistry or math. Actually, the school my girls are enrolled in seems to use a point system quite a bit, as well, only I think they do so for almost all of the classes---even civics and history! I'm not sure about English, though.

What's interesting to note is that most of my tests in college were essay tests. We were told that this was because it's very, very difficult to cheat on essay tests. I'm beginning to see more and more how true this is. Cheating is rampant in schools. Both my oldest and middle dd's are taking civics, and my oldest has the same teacher for AP US History. The teacher seems to rely a lot on essay questions, which she does grade by points, but many of the questions they do for tests and chapter sections are essay-type questions. Obviously, essay tests wouldn't work for many science tests and probably most math tests!

Interesting question, and it sounds like BJU has come up with a reasonable system for grading.

Typically in a school situation a breakdown might be something like:

25% homework

10% class discussion

15% quizzes

35% tests

15% mid-term/final

I do factor in more than just test grades b/c IMHO it is an unrealistic expectation for high school students. Even most college classes have quiz/paper grades in addition to tests.

HTH

I was introduced to a system with the BJU Linc Chemistry teacher and his grading policy (if I understand it right) is intriguing. HE tells the students basically that every point earned in the class is of equal value.

This means for a semester grade, that if a student gets:

25 of the 30pts possible on homework;

20 of 25 on the quizzes total;

370 out of 400 for the tests,

then their grade would be:

25 + 20 + 370 = 415

and that 415 divided by the total possible points of 455 or 91%.

I like the idea because my children tend to rush thru their homework as it is required but not graded (in the past). I have tended to grade almost strictly from test grades primarily because I feel it is the most objective way I can give grades.

What do you think of this grading system? Pros? Cons?

Thanks

Lisaj

I don't know any cons . . . or I'm too lazy to think of any rather:lol:. That's how I was graded in several high school classes and all through college and I just assumed that's how everyone else graded :D, you know, because I'm the center of my own universe. It's quick, easy, thorough, with a minimum of muss and fuss. Just how life should be.

The problem I see with this method is that it doesn't give credit for LEARNING the material. I feel homework should be a for learning the material and there should not be a penalty for getting homework incorrect, except for the necessity to do it again.

He gives credit for getting the homework correct. If your student is getting all the homework correct the first time, then the work level is probably too low. I think homework should be graded as Done/Not Done for points and then graded correct/incorrect for actual learning. And no penalty for getting the answer incorrect!

I would hate for a student to attempt the homework set, get the problems wrong, go home and try again and loose all those points for homework, but get it correct on the test. It seems to me that grades should be based on the student learning the material not on getting it correct the first time.

I guess I see this a little differently. Our class time and discussion/examples are the learning/questioning time. They can also seek my help if they are confused. I see homework as solidifying what they should have learned during the above process. Tests are covering more materials to ensure that they didn't just learn it "for the minute" but have mastered it in relation to the larger scenerio.

What's interesting to note is that most of my tests in college were essay tests. We were told that this was because it's very, very difficult to cheat on essay tests. I'm beginning to see more and more how true this is. Cheating is rampant in schools. Both my oldest and middle dd's are taking civics, and my oldest has the same teacher for AP US History. The teacher seems to rely a lot on essay questions, which she does grade by points, but many of the questions they do for tests and chapter sections are essay-type questions. Obviously, essay tests wouldn't work for many science tests and probably most math tests!

Interesting question, and it sounds like BJU has come up with a reasonable system for grading.

Thank you all for the feedback - I hope to hear more. Many of you have brought up things I hadn't thought of.

I thought the above was interesting because it seems most public schools could really make a concerted effort against cheating by putting in more essay-type questions in every subject. I think even in math and chemistry, there would be ways to use the strategy behind "essays only" for grading. It seems to me that govt schools have went the opposite way by going "computerized" and towards video and other educational tools that are more formulaic.

great ideas.....

Lisa