Menu

Questions about notebooks vs. composition books

Do you have a favorite spiral notebook or composition book? Wide ruled, college ruled, graph different for math ruled? Does your lefty prefer a certain notebook? Perforated? Paper quality? 

We are moving towards using notebooks for all subjects this year and can't believe how hard it has been for me to figure out which ones to buy. 

Thanks

I love the Mead composition books from Office Depot that have quirky pictures on them.  Like these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/595996/Mead-Loyal-Army-Composition-Book-7/

They cost a bit more but do last longer.  My lefty loves them.

I do also buy the cheapo 50 cent composition books from Walmart in a variety of colors.  You have to dig for the cuter colors, like neon pink and lavender, but they're there.

Wide ruled all the way.  I have old eyes.

• Like 1

I seem to gravitate toward notebooks from Studio C.  The quality is good, and I can usually find designs that I like, though occasionally I wish that certain covers were in the other type of rule (DD prefers wide rule, I prefer college rule).  Using nice, pretty notebooks is something that brings me joy, so I don't mind spending a little extra on them.

I have never cared for composition books.  Just a personal preference.

• Like 1

I buy wide-ruled for my 8 year old and college ruled for my 11 and 13 year olds.  I was trying to do color coding, but I often can't find the colors I need so I think I give up on that.  My plan for this coming year is that the kids will have one notebook that is graph paper for working out math problems and one that is lined for their math and grammar answers.  Those we will toss when they are done with them.  Then I will have one that is half blank and half lined for their drawings and writings after they read each day.  That we will keep.  I am planning to buy those from Mead right now unless I can find something else better.  For my non-readers I buy the primary level with the dotted mid-line for their journals.  They only use flashcards for math and they have a workbook for phonics so that is all they need.  

I don't have any lefties.  I don't like perforated because then they tear out.  And I don't like spiral because the pages come out.  The ones I have bought from the dollar store have thinner paper, which I don't really like, but sometimes it has just been whatever is convenient.  I am hoping to hit some back to school sales today and maybe I can pick up enough for the whole year.....

• Like 2

Stm4him- Where do you find the mead notebooks that are half lined and half blank. This is what I'd like to use for journaling different topics. I'm looking on mead's website, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Edited: Found them!

Stm4him- Where do you find the mead notebooks that are half lined and half blank. This is what I'd like to use for journaling different topics. I'm looking on mead's website, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Edited: Found them!

Link? Pretty please. :)