Menu

Which level EIW should I buy?

Mom28kds

I am schooling a 3rd, 4th, and 5th grader this year. My 5th grader is coming from PS so he has had some writing.  My 3rd and 4th not so much. I am using CLE for LA. I think I should begin some writing instruction but don't know where to start. My 5th grader struggles with focus issues and school is work. Do I get level 4 or 5? The website doesn't give much info as to the differences between what the years cover. How advanced is the work? I'm debating whether to just focus on my 5th grader or let all 3 join in on the writing and do what they are capable. Some advice would be appreciated :)

Maybe start with the writing included in CLE? We are happy with the writing until grade 6 or so. Then we supplement. My 7th grader is using Essentials in Writing because LA 700 doesn't include a lot of writing.

The reason I want to do EIW is I  need help teaching writing. I forgot to mention that. This is definitely my weakest area :) I thought about trying that with my 3rd and 4th graders but I want to be sure they know how to write. 

I had a 3rd and 5th grader this past year.  My 3rd grader is on level and my 5th grader struggles with writing a bit. When I emailed they suggested starting at grade level, but I opted to put both kids in at the 3rd grade level. We skipped the grammar portions and did one writing lesson a day.  This year we will cover the 4th and possibly 5th grade levels (writing only).  I found that I didn't need to adapt the lessons at all to meet my 5th grader's needs.  The lessons themselves were review, but they taught her to better organize her thoughts and she definitely walked away with more experience and a more pleasing product.  I can't say this route would work well for all 5th graders, but for mine it was a good fit.  :)

• Like 2

I had a 3rd and 5th grader this past year.  My 3rd grader is on level and my 5th grader struggles with writing a bit. When I emailed they suggested starting at grade level, but I opted to put both kids in at the 3rd grade level. We skipped the grammar portions and did one writing lesson a day.  This year we will cover the 4th and possibly 5th grade levels (writing only).  I found that I didn't need to adapt the lessons at all to meet my 5th grader's needs.  The lessons themselves were review, but they taught her to better organize her thoughts and she definitely walked away with more experience and a more pleasing product.  I can't say this route would work well for all 5th graders, but for mine it was a good fit.  :)

Thank you :) Did you do the workbook also? I'm thinking I could get the 4th gr then. A little review wouldn't hurt. Was it worth it to only do the writing? That really is all I need. CLE is rigorous enough for LA and my son would be overwhelmed with both grammar.

I have level 5 for my 5th grader- you don't need to purchase the workbook separately b/c it includes a PDF of it w/ your purchase of the DVDs.  If you want one already put together, then get the workbook.  If you are happy printing your own, it's included.  I think you could get level 4, and have all your kids do it together. 

• Like 1

Thank you :) Did you do the workbook also? I'm thinking I could get the 4th gr then. A little review wouldn't hurt. Was it worth it to only do the writing? That really is all I need. CLE is rigorous enough for LA and my son would be overwhelmed with both grammar.

Yes, we got the DVD and printed out the PDF workbooks.  It was more cost effective this way, as I needed two workbooks.  Not doing the grammar portion shortens the program considerably, and even with it, I have no idea how a person would make it last a full year.  Maybe we are doing it wrong?  LOL  We got through the Gr. 3 level in 3-4 months (writing only).  I debated about using it again, because it is pricey to only use half the program, and have it only last a few months...but the results were fabulous, so I felt it was more than worth it.  I also pull writing activities from Bravewriter and a few other sources and I really felt like EiW tied it all together. 

• Like 2