Menu

XPost - One Year Before MFW AHL?

Cross posting on high school board also.

If you had one year (8th) left before tackling MFW AHL, would you do ECC? Or something else? For an independently working 8th grader. We are currently using Notgrass' Adam to Us for 7th.

Also, for those who have used AHL - what sort of skills are prerequisite to completing the high school level work independently? I'd like to use 8th to make sure we are up for it.

I haven't decided 100% what my oldest will do next year for 9th grade (MFW AHL is something I have considered), but for 8th grade this year she is having a "reading year" for history. I have a bunch of books I bought to supplement history programs (like MOH) in the past, and we didn't get to most of them. So, dd is reading biographies, historical fiction, and nonfiction history books. She finished a book about the pharaohs, and now she's reading about Marco Polo. Once a week she has to write a summary of what she's been learning.

• Like 2

Jennifer,

I think ECC would be too easy & not enough of a challenge for an 8th grade student.

Before we tackle ancient history for the last time in 9th, my son is doing an overview of world history using ABeka's textbook.

I thought it would be good for my children to do a one-year world history survey before we do each time period in depth for high school.

We haven't used AHL, so I'm not able to comment on what skills are needed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. We are doing a one year world history currently for 7th. Just finished a year of Canadian history. Maybe a year of geography that isn't ECC? Would just the geography and world religion plans for HOD's high school geography be too much?

• Like 1

Jennifer,

I think ECC would be too easy & not enough of a challenge for an 8th grade student.

Before we tackle ancient history for the last time in 9th, my son is doing an overview of world history using ABeka's textbook.

I thought it would be good for my children to do a one-year world history survey before we do each time period in depth for high school.

We haven't used AHL, so I'm not able to comment on what skills are needed.

My 4th grader used ECC ladt year. I also believe that it would be too easy for an 8th grader.

• Like 1