Menu

Used textbook from Green_Earth_Books (Amazon Seller) has valid Online Access Code

Lanny

When I ordered this Web Development textbook from Green Earth Books in Portland, OR; listed as "Used - Very Good", I had no idea that it would arrive with an Online Access Code that hasn't been used. What a pleasant surprise.  :-)   Also, when I ordered the textbook from them, I didn't know it was a Thrift Books company. This is the first textbook DD will use that is normally used in college/university courses.  

During December 2012, we had purchased an Art textbook from Sierra Nevada Books, in Reno, NV; which also was listed as "Used -Very Good". That one had a stamp on the inside of the front cover from a school district in Northern CA, but DD said it smelled like a new book and she didn't think anyone had ever used it  Another Thrift Books company.

Both textbooks were sent to Miami FL via DHL GlobalMail and there were no problems.

With these 2 purchases from Thrift Books companies, we have been very lucky. :-)  

• Like 4

You have been very fortunate indeed!  My daughter is a dual credit student at our local CC.  We've not found a single used text that included a valid online access code.  

Yes, it's so unlikely that I always tell those in my classes (and my own kids) to price the access code separately before they buy a used book and to take that into consideration.

We just went to the bookstore this week, and they had almost no used books at all because a new contractor just took over. So I have my college student researching where to buy, but I'm guessing that we're going to have to buy anything with an access code new from either the bookstore or Amazon.  Some of his books are used over two semesters, so we have to take that into account. Renting a book over two semesters is actually more expensive than buying it in some cases.  And some of the books rent much cheaper from Amazon than the bookstore, by the way.

What a game to play!

• Like 3

You have been very fortunate indeed!  My daughter is a dual credit student at our local CC.  We've not found a single used text that included a valid online access code.  

I sold one once. My son bought the online access code from the textbook company so he could have immediate access for his course. Then he bought the textbook plus access code together at Amazon because it was discounted so deeply that it would have cost more to buy the book alone.

• Like 1

I had purchased that same Web Development textbook from another Amazon Marketplace Seller, Recycle-A-Textbook in Lexington, KY; a few days before. Their listing stated that the Online Access Code was valid. I messaged them about that and it was confirmed. Then, I bought the book from them on Amazon.  After I got an email from Amazon that it had been shipped to me, I later got another email that said the Seller had refunded the money to my account, because they did not have the item. They had shipped that book to someone else and their inventory was incorrect.

This copy of the book, from Green Earth Books, did not indicate that the Access Code was valid, so I assumed that it wasn't valid and we got a  nice surprise.

I also saw at least one other Amazon  listing for that textbook that said it had a valid Access Code, but it was in "Acceptable" condition and much more expensive than either of these 2 copies.

My last textbook rental from Amazon included the access code. Even if it hadn't, the price of the rental ($37) plus price to buy just the code from Pearson ($35) would have been significantly cheaper than buying the book outright, new, with access code (nearly $200). Still, I was very pleased to find the code included with the rental!

• Like 1

My last textbook rental from Amazon included the access code. Even if it hadn't, the price of the rental ($37) plus price to buy just the code from Pearson ($35) would have been significantly cheaper than buying the book outright, new, with access code (nearly $200). Still, I was very pleased to find the code included with the rental!

When I looked at the information about the Online Access Code, on the inside of the front cover, it said that after you activate it, it is valid for 6 months. If you need to use it more than 6 months, you need to pay them again...   In colleges/universities, that textbook is used for a one semester course. The TTUISD course is for 2 semesters, so I'm hoping they won't use the Online Access Code. I only paid $7.55 for the book, so I'm a very happy camper on this purchase.

Also, yours truly read the reviews on Amazon about this textbook and it is very well rated.  I may also be studying it, so I can learn how to code our web sites properly for modern web browsers and web standards....