Menu

Algebra tutor via Skype?

Has anyone done this successfully? My soon-to-be 10th grader has not finished Algebra and needs to take Geometry in the fall.  She understands & can do fractions, percentages, and decimals.  She is just a slow worker & I can't help her because I can't remember my college Algebra days.  Because she works slowly she needs a little extra push to meet deadlines so I wanted to enroll her in a live online Geometry class but we can't do that until she finishes Algebra.  I would like a tutor to look at her work & practice the concepts that she's missing and explain & practice with her.  Can this be done via Skype?  TIA!

My sweet daughter had to finish Algebra II this summer. She needed more 1-1 attention than what I could give her right now. We found an awesome tutor and they conduct the sessions via Google Hangouts video calls and one of its whiteboard apps (they started out using Skype but have found this GH arrangement better for them). She's learning so much. Her tutor loves math. Her own love for math is growing thanks to his inspiration.

A bit is lost by not having the face to face interaction, but in my opinion is more than compensated by having focused time without distractions (she uses earphones with a microphone, thus allowing her to focus on her tutor without background noises as that is very distracting to her in particular), the ability to pick a best in class tutor and the convenience.

Rosa

• Like 1

I posted an ad on a local board in Singapore. My daughter loves Singapore's math curriculums and wanted to continue doing it in high school. My husband is originally from there and our first choice was someone familiar with their way of teaching. Our tutor has been an answered prayer. Sometimes I sit on the sessions just to hear his prompts and learn his teaching methods. He just started a full time job and so hope he can continue tutoring.

There is someone in this forum who tutors math online. I can pass along her info to you. She seems super nice and extremely qualified.

Rosa

• Like 1