Menu

Anybody have success with DIY hair highlighting?

TwoEdgedSword

I have done it on my son's hair. I wouldn't want to try to do my own myself, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to having my DD do a home kit on me. My son has blonde hair, so I figured it would be hard to really screw it up. It is harder to do on brown hair (like mine), because the color can be too brassy or just plain bad.

I am not sure...i think I used Clarol's frost and tip kit on ds.

• Like 1

Quill, did it turn out pretty natural? Or maybe he was going for a bolder look.

It looked natural, but as I said, it is pretty easy to highlight blonde hair.

• Like 1

Funny, I just tried this weekend.  Not pleased with the results.  It was really hard to follow any kind of a pattern, and it didn't turn out like I wanted (not horrible though). 

I always have done at the salon but was trying to save money.  Wasn't worth it.  :glare:

• Like 2

I had highlighted my own hair since I was 18 just because I like highlights.   My most recent try was with Revlon colorsilk which I bought for $2.50 from CVS and it turn out nice.  I had tried many of  the Clairol ones over the years with no problems.  I go for whatever is on sale since I am doing it for fun.  The color last 3-6 months.

Leave the hair dye on for 45 mins for the color to really absorb in.  I am usually too impatient so I go for 30 mins which means the color isn't as deep. My hair is charcoal black with natural fiery red streaks.

• Like 1

That sounds pretty Arcadia. Right now, I'm a "7," which is a darker blonde. Up toward the roots, I'm more of a 6 (light brown).

I have to do my roots every few weeks bc of the white stuff. And since highlights get covered when you cover the grey, it's all the more reason for me to try this at home and save.

• Like 1

I have to do my roots every few weeks bc of the white stuff. And since highlights get covered when you cover the grey, it's all the more reason for me to try this at home and save.

Did you use a dye comb?  Then you can just color in your roots without affecting your highlights.

Its the comb with the brush on one side and bristles on the other in the picture in the link

http://www.amazon.com/KMG-Hairdressing-Brushes-Coloring-Bleach/dp/B00KOLXTXU

step 4 is how I do the root touch up

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/hair-care/dye-yourself-hair-color/root-touch-up

step 3 is how I highlight

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/hair-care/dye-yourself-hair-color/highlights

I memorized how the hairdressing training school did it when the school needed "guinea pigs" for their hairdressing students. 

I was born with the red streaks as was my nephew.  I highlight my hair burgundy, auburn or copper depending on my mood and what are the colors on sale.

• Like 1

I highlight my own hair. I buy all my supplies at Sally's.

I use a reusable silicone cap, powdered bleach mixed with developer.

I pull my hair through the cap, brush the bleach mix on and cover it with a disposable shower cap. I leave it on for close to an hour. I'm probably between a 5-6 and if I don't leave it on a long time I get brassy.

I then rinse that out (leaving the cap on) and apply a toner to the hair that I just highlighted. I only leave that on a few minutes then take the cap off and rinse.

I would like to do brush on highlights but when I've tried a few pieces the bleach dried out before it was done processing and I ended up brassy.

Those of you who do brush on, do you cover your hair while it's processing?

I color my own hair, but haven't done highlights on myself. I have highlighted my daughter's hair twice. The first time we used some kit, the brand of which I can't remember. It had one of those caps with holes that you pull the strips of hair through. The second time we bought the color at Sally's and used foil strips on the different pieces of hair. I watched a Youtube video on how to do it first. We both liked the foil method better. It was easier for me and less painful for my daughter. The results looked fine, but my dd has blondish hair, so I think that might be a little more forgiving.

• Like 1