Menu

How much review in CLE Math?

EmseB

I'm wondering if the entire first light unit for any given level is review from the previous level.  And any suggestions on the following:

DS6 completed Saxon 1 last year, but I want to switch to CLE, and when he took the CLE placement test I'm now not certain about just sticking him in level 200.  Of course, after he took the test, I prompted him through some of the questions he gave up on because he "didn't know what to do" and he did just fine on them.  So I feel like he needs a good amount of review of last year's stuff before moving up, but I also don't want to bore him to tears.  I know I don't want to start him with learning to write numbers and counting things because he's beyond that, but I also see no need to go to 200 just because that's what he's "supposed" to be doing.  I feel like he's somewhere in between, which is awesome because I can just buy the light units I need, but I'm also not sure how to figure out which ones I would need based on the samples on the site.

• Like 1

We started using CLE math in 3rd grade. Because we had used a different math curriculum before CLE, I bought 301 (Review). My son took the tests in the booklet until he got stuck and then we worked on the lessons from then on. We are using 700 next year and I have not bought any review booklets since 301, we always start with the second booklet and we have never felt we were missing material because we had not done the first booklet. I am pretty sure all first booklets are just review.

Did you look at their Scope and Sequence (under browse curriculum)?

https://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/23

You can also call them.

If you think your son is in between 100 and 200 but you are not sure:

You could get the 201 booklet and see what happens.  If he is doing really poorly with the review booklet you may need to start with some of the second half booklets for 100.

• Like 3

My dd 7 did MUS Alpha then MM 1A, 1B, and 2A before we started CLE this year.

It sounds like my dd did similar to you ds on the placement. I felt she was in between 100 and 200 too. But I wanted to make sure she REALLY was solid on her math facts and she needed more review on counting money. So we did the 100. She flew through the first 4 LU in two months. We skipped some lessons and I combined lessons.

Most of the first few units were really easy for her. But there was also a lot of drill on math facts, that she could figure out, but she did not have memorized. She is grown in her money skills, thinking skills with word problems, and speed of recalling math facts in the first 5 LU. We are at the point where we are now doing one lesson daily.  

I am so glad that I started in 100. She now is solid on her math facts so far (we are almost done with 500). I am truly amazed at how well she is doing in math. Good luck!

• Like 1

The 201 book will review all of the basic concepts from level 100 in the following way: For each lesson in the light unit, your son will take a pretest. If he passes it, he skips the rest of that lesson and moves on to the next pretest. If he does not pass the pretest, he works through the material in the rest of the lesson. It has been awhile since we have used the first book of any level, but I believe that each kind of problem indicates which light unit from the previous year covers that material in more depth.

So you could start with 201 and see where the gaps are and then go back to some of the 100 level light units if necessary. We switched from Horizons to CLE around second grade. What we ended up doing is just spending lots of time in the 201 light unit. The material was simple enough for me to go over in detail without buying the previous year's lessons. It was probably equal amounts of review and new material for DS, and I just taught him what he didn't know yet. We worked hard, but when we got through 201, he was ready for 202. 202 will continue to review those basic concepts, so even when DS didn't have things down pat, it was enough for him to have been introduced to them.

As I remember it, I think CLE 100 is more advanced than Saxon, so if you found your son struggling a lot with the placement tests, you could probably start with level 100 and just move through it more quickly.

To move through a light unit quickly, people sometimes will do two lessons in one sitting. You can go through the new material for both lessons but only do the review (called "we remember") for the second lesson. There are also two quizzes in each book that some people skip. So in theory you could move through the entire math level in about half of the school year, though you might find that you need to slow down and do entire lessons eventually as material gets harder.

• Like 2

My son did Saxon 1 last year and we are doing CLE this school year also. He passed the placement test with a little prompting. I bought 201 and already had him start on it. He's doing great with it. There are some things I have to explain a bit, but so far it's been going well. If your son did okay with Saxon 1, CLE 201 would probably be fine.

• Like 1