Menu

IEW and Easy Grammar questions + 50 state study ideas

momof4inco

My 6th grader will be doing a homeschool program through a local charter school.  They will be using U.S. History-Based Writing Lessons Volume 1 by IEW, and Easy Grammar Grade 6 for their LA enrichment program.

A few questions...  Is IEW a complete writing program?  If I added Spelling Workout, Vocabu-Lit, and he read a lot of good books, would that be a complete LA program?  How much history is included in the IEW program?  We are planning a 50 state study (he didn't learn any of the states or capitals through his previous public school) - Is there enough history in the IEW that I could skip a formal history curriculum and just concentrate on learning the states?

Other than Road Trip USA, are there any other 50 state studies you can recommend?  He is a very serious student, not interested in too many crafts or cooking things from the different states.  I also need something not geared towards younger students.  I'm finding this is very difficult, since most kids have already learned this before 6th grade!  I found something on TPT that might work, but I thought I would ask.

This forum is saving me from making a lot of unnecessary purchases.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  

Yes, IEW is meant to be a complete writing program.  The U.S. History Writing Lessons do not actually teach history.  They just use history as the framework for writing assignments.  It complements a study of U.S. history, but definitely won't replace a separate history curriculum.  My dd12 is going to be using U.S. History lessons in a co-op this fall, and I am having her do Saxon Grammar 7, spelling/vocab, and a literature program in addition to round out her language arts studies.  Separately, she will be using Mystery of History volume 3.    Have you looked at the samples at the IEW website?  I think they may be helpful.  Go to the actual product page for U.S. History Writing Lessons.

My 6th grader will be doing a homeschool program through a local charter school.  They will be using U.S. History-Based Writing Lessons Volume 1 by IEW, and Easy Grammar Grade 6 for their LA enrichment program.

A few questions...  Is IEW a complete writing program?  If I added Spelling Workout, Vocabu-Lit, and he read a lot of good books, would that be a complete LA program?  How much history is included in the IEW program?  We are planning a 50 state study (he didn't learn any of the states or capitals through his previous public school) - Is there enough history in the IEW that I could skip a formal history curriculum and just concentrate on learning the states?

Other than Road Trip USA, are there any other 50 state studies you can recommend?  He is a very serious student, not interested in too many crafts or cooking things from the different states.  I also need something not geared towards younger students.  I'm finding this is very difficult, since most kids have already learned this before 6th grade!  I found something on TPT that might work, but I thought I would ask.

This forum is saving me from making a lot of unnecessary purchases.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  

IEW is a comprehensive writing course. I haven't seen this particular product, so I don't know how much history it actually covers. OTOH, your ds is still young, so the history in IEW plus your 50 states study might be enough..

IEW, plus something for grammar, plus something for spelling, plus reading lots of books would be a complete English course.

Take a look at '50 States and Where to Find Them' at barefootmeandering.com. It's an excellent study of the states, and includes literature to read and mapping exercises. Its layout is simple, but really packs in the information. It could definitely round out your study to include more than just state names/capitals. It would also in no way look juvenile for a 6th grader. My fourth grader used it last year and we enjoyed it.

We also used IEW US History last year. It does complement a U.S. History study well, but won't be a full history study. But I do think adding in some quality reading, along with your state study, could definitely be enough for history.

Good luck!

• Like 2