Menu

Using Spectrum chemistry labs with a different textbook

I am interested in pairing Spectrum chemistry labs with Zumdahl.  Has anyone here done this (with Zumdahl or a different text)?  How did it work out?

Also, I'd love to know about people's experience with the Spectrum labs in general.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in pairing Spectrum Chemistry with Apologia Exploring Creation with Chemistry that will be taught in a local co-op.  I already have the Spectrum cirriculum but since my daugher learned a great deal from previous science courses taught by the same teacher so I think the co-op is a good idea. That said, I know that they won't be doing the labs independently but rather the teacher will do the labs and the students will observe. I would like my daughter to have more hands on experience with the labs.

So....I'm watching for any input on this also.  :bigear:

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever end up doing this?

I am thinking about using Spectrum labs with Zumdahl or Tro for textbook and problems. I already have everything I need for Tro, but I need labs.

I wonder if this will work well, or if I am getting swayed by all the great reviews of the Spectrum labs that kids actually learn from and that really work. I know for sure that I would want a different text.

Alternatively, I will use another text with Thompson's Illustrated Guide. I was thinking about Spectrum Labs and some additional labs from Illus. guide, but that might be way too much. And Illustrated Guide for Biology is very good, but we have come across some glitches where things could be, IMO, reorganized for clarity. Having Spectrum, where it seems some of the time, the student could work on their own for some of the labs, is appealing.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

We are doing it this year with a small group of 3 kids. We did get Spectrum textbook as well. My plan was to actually combine Spectrum Textbook with Zumdahl. I was doing it in the beginning, but later realized that most of the time Spectrum is an adequate textbook on it's own.. for most of the time. Sometimes we had to fall back on Zumdahl book. The Spectrum labs are actually in sync for most of the time with the textbook,and sometimes work as additional chapters. It's not to say that you can't pair it with Zumdahl or Tro. Actually, the sequence of the material presented in Spectrum corresponds better with Tro. Now that we are almost 2/3 in, I would say that the experiments are fantastic and really make a difference in comprehending what we are studying. So, I am glad we are doing it.

Oh I am also keeping my eyes on Barron's SAT subject test book as we are going through the course. I would say Spectrum covers about 75% of what in the test. So yes, a conventional textbook is needed if one wants to go for the Subject Test.

• Like 2

Oh I am also keeping my eyes on Barron's SAT subject test book as we are going through the course. I would say Spectrum covers about 75% of what in the test. So yes, a conventional textbook is needed if one wants to go for the Subject Test.

Thanks. I'm pondering having my dd take the SAT Chem test after she finishes Spectrum Chem this year and just ordered a test prep book for her study before she takes it. This is helpful.