Menu

McRuffy or AAR?

momof4inco

Hello!  I'm new to posting on this forum, but I've been reading the very informative posts for awhile.  We will just be starting homeschooling in August  :scared:

I have a question about a reading program for my second grader.  I have narrowed it down to McRuffy or AAR.  I have looked at the materials for both and the placement test for AAR, and I think she would be considered level 3 for both.  They both seem like quality, well-reviewed programs.  Any feelings one way or the other?  If I can't figure this out soon, I'll probably have to flip a coin!  Thanks :)

Kim

We only used McRuffy Grade 1, so take this for what it's worth.  We really disliked the stories.  I still remember one about toast that falls in a puddle.  They were not enjoyable to read.  There were also a lot of elements to the LA program and a lot of books & pieces to juggle. 

That being said, if I remember correctly, I believe it's a complete LA program.  AAR is only a reading program.  You would still need to add in spelling, handwriting & writing. 

We have used AAR from Pre-1 through 4 and are now on our second go around with it, with my youngest.  I am a huge AAR fan.  :)  It is pricey though, and I am glad I have more than one using it. 

It is pricey for AAR :( And she is my youngest, so it will never be used in this family again...  Hopefully it has good resale value!  Honestly, my brain is so tired of trying to figure this out (if you look at the time on my first post, you'll see this is keeping me up at night :).  I considered using AAS with AAR, and HWOT.  I haven't figured out writing, any suggestions on that would be appreciated too.  Any other secular reading programs that would be on par with AAR, but maybe a little less expensive?  Or another full language arts program?  :confused:

I've only had to figure out curriculum for two of my four kids.  Kudos to those of you that have to do it for more, especially if you still have your sanity!  

I debated the same 2 programs, and went w/ AAR3.  The main thing I see is that it's ONLY reading- there is absolutely no writing in the program at all.  Every worksheet or game can be done without a pencil, so it includes no other Language Arts.  You will need to add spelling and handwriting for sure, and make up your own writing assignments.  McRuffy included everything, which is nice, and I'm still not sure if I made the right call getting AAR instead. 

Since aar and Aas are both full phonics programs, you could use just Aas and HWOT for your la. Aas will cover phonics and you can just read books of choice from the library. We had good luck with early library readers after aar2. Enough of the phonograms had been covered by the end of aar 2 to sound out most of the words commonly taught as sight words in ps. I paired that with a spell to read for continued phonics. It worked great for me and allows the child more choice in reading material. I wouldn't suggest skipping aar for a struggling reader, but really Aas plus aar is a bit of overkill for a typical or advanced kid.

I was wondering if we even needed an actual reading program anymore.  She can read almost anything that is put in front of her, but spelling is a different story.  Using AAS for continued phonics and spelling is a great idea, and saves me loads of money.  There are so many book lists that we could use for reading that she would enjoy more than learning to read books.  Thanks for the idea!

So, HWOT, AAS, independent reading, and reading aloud with mom & dad...  That sounds awesome, and a lot less planning for me.  I finally feel like I'm on the right track.

One more question...  Should I look for a vocabulary curriculum at this age?  Is that a necessary part of LA for a 2nd grader, or will she learn enough vocabulary through reading?

Lots of independent reading and read alouds should be sufficient for vocabulary, especially if you pause to define words. We enjoyed using vocabulary cartoons each day, trying to use the word properly without the other noticing. it was low-key and fun, but certainly not necessary. I wouldn't do a workbook at this age for an on-level child.

Eta: you might want copywork or a fun intro composition for la. You could just use the ideas on the bravewriter site if you want something relaxed and fun. Or pick up the cheap and easy to use writing with ease workbook.

• Like 1

I was wondering if we even needed an actual reading program anymore.  She can read almost anything that is put in front of her, but spelling is a different story.  Using AAS for continued phonics and spelling is a great idea, and saves me loads of money.  There are so many book lists that we could use for reading that she would enjoy more than learning to read books.  Thanks for the idea!

So, HWOT, AAS, independent reading, and reading aloud with mom & dad...  That sounds awesome, and a lot less planning for me.  I finally feel like I'm on the right track.

One more question...  Should I look for a vocabulary curriculum at this age?  Is that a necessary part of LA for a 2nd grader, or will she learn enough vocabulary through reading?

I agree with Sillieann, reading aloud and reading should be sufficient for vocabulary for grade school. Here's an article on building vocabulary.

I don't think your dd needs AAR since she can read just about anything for her age, and AAS will fill in any phonics gaps. I think you'll be fine going that way. AAS also has a gentle progression in writing that helps prepare kids for a formal writing program. It has dictation that starts with words and short phrases, then moves on to sentences. In AAS 3, it adds in sentence writing through The Writing Station exercises as well. You might start off with some informal writing this year, and add in a writing program next year. Here's an article on planning LA that might help.