Menu

Users of Henle guide by Magistra Jennifer Jones? Halcyon, another ?

I am very excited about her free worksheets. It will make learning Henle much more enjoyable. She is also selling Henle guides which reformed the Henle book, making it more "21st learn friendly" in her word.

I wonder if anyone has used her guides and can share what it is like. I was almost all set on MODG guide and then saw hers. It almost seems like if you use her guide you can do without Henle book and the Henle grammar book.

Halcyon,

I remeber reading the questions you ask ds when looking at a sentence. I can't find the post. It is like, What is the verb? What is the subject? What case? etc. Can you please post them here again or help me find the post?

I am going to order the materials this weekend. I will order Seton Answer key that people recommend.

Thanks for all the help I get from the Hive.

Ooh, I just saw she has online classes!!! And I love the look of the worksheets she put together, which are now bound. I already have the Henle book and Grammar book, and the companion she's selling isn't very expensive. My son needs more structure with Latina and this looks perfect! I wanted to use Henle but the small print was intimidating to both my son and I, we need some handholding!

Just saw this! Going to have another cup o' coffee and search around for my post, and also look at this guide. We're using MODG now, but we only got a couple chapters into the book before summer started, so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch if this were a fit. Be back in a bit!

This looks interesting--it definitely looks more user-friendly for a younger child (my ds10 is using Henle). However, my only reservation is that I usualy have my student write much of this out on his own, and in the writing, he can cement his understanding; having it already laid out so prettily might do a disservice. OTOH, it might also help, 

It reminds me a little bit of Looking at Latin, which we love here at our house.

I am going to peruse the samples a bit more.

ETA: here's the thread where I talk about the steps my child has to go through for every sentence he translates: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/553264-x-postalso-on-logic-stage-board-how-do-you-use-weelocks-latin-successfully/

ETA2: It looks like she clarifies, for example, the subjunctive mood much better than I could. I like her examples. http://www.scribd.com/doc/244053065/Lesson-22-Intro-to-Subj 

This might be useful addition. Of course, I already have more than a dozen...(two dozen??) Latin books of various sorts. I am going to go through my curricula over the next month and decide if this might be a useful addition. I do like that the exercises are all printed out--that's a huge plus.

ETA3: it looks like she does not include an answer key. :( I have to check and see if her exercises are of her own creation, or simply duplicated in a more visually pleasing format -- if so, I can use the MODG answer key that I have. 

The downloadable excercise worksheets are directly from Henle exercises, especially or mainly the ones marked "essential". So you go rest assured and just use these to give yourself and your dc a break from the tiny font in the Henle book.

I am really tempted to just buy her guide to use in place of the Henle book, which goes so perfectly with her download worksheets. However, i need the answer key and the weekly quizzes and tests. Any ideas for me?

Thank you, Halcyon, for chiming in. I value your btdt experience with Henle. I do like Henle a lot, more than Latin Prep (I own) and Latin Alive ( I don't own, but perused the available samples and got turned off by the limited poor Latin reading.) Henle seems so logical and the translation and Latin reading arejust wonderful!

Halcyon and others,

Have you looked her syllubus? Can you tell me what you think of the pace? Is it too fast or just right? My boys are not solid on all the declensions and conjugations, but they did finished Lively Latin 2 which covers a lot of grammar.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/260645692/Henle-FYL-Syllabus-Year-One

Can you take a look at her guide sample? How is it different from MODG guide? Thanks!

http://magistrajones.blogspot.com/p/henle-latin-study-guidescompanions.html