Menu

Algebra I for a whole brained learner - would appreciate any suggestions!

I'm stumped in trying to figure out the best Algebra 1 curriculum for my 8th grader. We've done a bit of a hodge podge over the past few years -- as we've tried some part-time school programs that included math. (They used McGraw Hill, and then Saxon pre-algebra - he HATED both). In the end, he basically completed at least 2 years of pre-algebra, including Jousting Armadillos, along with some basic Algebra I. I felt he needed some firming on concepts, so we've been working through the EPGY Grade 7 Redbird math, which I really like but which doesn't continue into Algebra. 

I'd note that my son tends to test high on math, and to get concepts quickly. However, while he tends to get bored easily and hates to have things repeated, he also gets bogged down on details. He also has some learning differences that seem to make him freeze up when he confronts multi-step problem solving or anything he can't figure out in his head (though the calculations he can do that way often amaze me.) 

For all of these reasons, I think AoPS is a bad idea. I guess I could just get the book, and we could work through it on our own pace, but I worry it will frustrate him. I also thought about the Jacobs book, which we got from the library, but the text-heavy pages freaked him out (he also has visual tracking issues, just to complicate things further.) He did like Jousting Armadillos and we started the Crocodile book, but understand from reading various posts here that we couldn't really use those books on their own. 

The biggest issue is that he wants to work independently, and doesn't want a lot of input from me (he's 13 after all.) Redbird Math worked really well for him, since it was engaging and let him try problems several times until he got the right answer. Otherwise, he just clicks through to get finished quicker, even if he gets everything wrong. But the EPGY algebra comes from  a different provider and is tutored, so very expensive. 

My son is very interested in a career in science long-term, so I think a firm foundation in math is critical, but I just can't seem to find the right curriculum for next year. I'd really appreciate any suggestions! 

We like Horizons Algebra.  The lessons are very short (this is NOT a text-heavy book in the least.)  I do not use a Teacher Guide since I have a very strong math background.  I present the lessons VERY quickly on the whiteboard, and then my dd goes to it.  Sometimes I break the lessons up, highlighting half in yellow and half in pink.  She does the yellow the first day, and the pink the second day.  Each lesson has some review of previous skills, but not in a painful, obnoxious way. 

She is a big picture thinker and Algebra really clicks with her.  Now, for background, we started Algebra eons ago by reading a couple chapters in Zaccarro's Real World Algebra (I love the chapter on math language).  She also had done the Key to Algebra first book, which I believe teaches negative numbers.  (It's been awhile.)

HTH! 

Look into Derek Owens' math curriculum. It goes all the way to Calculus and would give your son very solid STEM preparation. It is distant learning so there is a cost of $58 a month, but it is self-paced so he could work independently. It is video based. The student turns in the assignments to Derek Owens and he usually returns them in 1-2 days. Once the student is ready for the chapter test, you request it, and again, turn it in. You may email him questions, with the return again being about 1-2 days. Derek keeps a running transcript on the student and then will email a final transcript when you are finished. I believe you get 9 months to finish the course, but my son completed Algebra 1 in 5 months, which kept my cost down.

I would do a first pass with the Arbor School books anyway and supplement with Jacob's just in small chunks to not overwhelm him. And then pause and see where you are. They're shortish and you can decide what to do next - if he needs more or if he's really ready for the next step. They were working and they sound perfect for him overall.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stumped in trying to figure out the best Algebra 1 curriculum for my 8th grader. We've done a bit of a hodge podge over the past few years -- as we've tried some part-time school programs that included math. (They used McGraw Hill, and then Saxon pre-algebra - he HATED both). In the end, he basically completed at least 2 years of pre-algebra, including Jousting Armadillos, along with some basic Algebra I. I felt he needed some firming on concepts, so we've been working through the EPGY Grade 7 Redbird math, which I really like but which doesn't continue into Algebra. 

I'd note that my son tends to test high on math, and to get concepts quickly. However, while he tends to get bored easily and hates to have things repeated, he also gets bogged down on details. He also has some learning differences that seem to make him freeze up when he confronts multi-step problem solving or anything he can't figure out in his head (though the calculations he can do that way often amaze me.) 

For all of these reasons, I think AoPS is a bad idea. I guess I could just get the book, and we could work through it on our own pace, but I worry it will frustrate him. I also thought about the Jacobs book, which we got from the library, but the text-heavy pages freaked him out (he also has visual tracking issues, just to complicate things further.) He did like Jousting Armadillos and we started the Crocodile book, but understand from reading various posts here that we couldn't really use those books on their own. 

The biggest issue is that he wants to work independently, and doesn't want a lot of input from me (he's 13 after all.) Redbird Math worked really well for him, since it was engaging and let him try problems several times until he got the right answer. Otherwise, he just clicks through to get finished quicker, even if he gets everything wrong. But the EPGY algebra comes from  a different provider and is tutored, so very expensive. 

My son is very interested in a career in science long-term, so I think a firm foundation in math is critical, but I just can't seem to find the right curriculum for next year. I'd really appreciate any suggestions! 

I'm not sure I understand the bolded?  The three Arbor School books, Jousting Armadillos, Crocodiles & Coconuts, and Chuckles the Rocket Dog do cover PreA (JA) and Algebra 1 (C&C and Chuckles).  It's true they don't include other topics, like geometry or statistics, but I'm not sure why you couldn't use them on their own to cover Algebra?  If he likes them I'd continue with that series.

My dd used JA and then did the first 7 chapters of Jacobs, but asked if she could switch back to the Arbor math books.  She'll be finishing the last two in 8th grade.  She also did the EdX Algebra 1 class, which your son might enjoy as it is something he can do entirely independently.  I really like how the concepts are taught, there just isn't enough practice and reinforcement, so I don't think you can use that online class on its own.  But paired with a text with the appropriate number of practice problems, it can be a great combination.

• Like 1

Would he be open to spending some time on Alcumus? He could work through the pre-algebra sections and encounter many clever problems this way.

He might actually really engage with some challenging problems, with a bit more exposure. If he likes it, you could reconsider AoPS, because at least it is self-teaching, and it would guide him through the math he finds most challenging (IMHO, a high-scoring math student who balks at problem-solving needs more problem-solving ;) ).

If he likes Alcumus but you still don't want to use AoPS books, at least you've found a good supplement!