Menu

German 1 Help

My 9th grade ds wants to take German 1 this year. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid program? I've looked at Oak Meadow, Laurel Springs, and the local virtual school. We don't speak any German, but his voice teacher is fluent, and I have a friend who could tutor, but doesn't have enough time to teach.

I can't search right now but many board members have used online courses through either University of Oklahoma or Nebraska, I can't remember which.

The reviews I have read have been good.

Some also use Duolingo combined with Practice made Perfect books or similar. Depends on your budget and the student.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Oklahoma State Uni German Online  offers online, asynchronous classes with weekly calls to a speaking tutor.  (People seem to have mixed results with the tutoring calls.  I found that it helped if I coached the kids on specific things to ask about and also if I talked to the tutor when I made the call to mention areas that needed emphasis.  Our friends have used a tutor named David and have been really happy with his mentoring.)

• Like 1

We tried Rolling Acres self paced and it was NOT enough.  I think if you do a live class through them it might work well my son was a bit uncomfortable with the idea of going through a live class with them.  They are Catholic based and a lot of their course work prayers, and memory work just isn't something we wanted to cover (we are conservative Christians and it wasn't going to fly here.)  However, they are very nice and what issues we had she tried to help us out.  

My son is now on the fence of whether to continue with German or jump ship and do something else on top of his Latin.  I have noticed several other online providers that might work well.  I have used these schools in the past and I am sure they would be good.  I know Veritas Press has an online German class as well as, Landry Academy, and I believe Potters School.  Don't know much about currclick but have heard from a few that they have enjoyed taking the online classes with Mr. G.   HTH

• Like 1