Menu

If you could get you free access to Discovery Education Streaming . . .

Would you really use it, and how many days per week would you use it?

I am talking with my library about getting this and it's a very good possibility -- and am trying to vet it's use (actual real usage) to see if it's something they can continue to offer full-time for free.

They are offering a free trial thru the summer if you want to check out all there is going on there. Lots of content, but I'm not sure if folks here would like it/use it/need it.

You can access the free trail from the co-op and browse:

https://homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/discovery-education-streaming-plus-free-trial/?c=1

If you would use it, please let me know honestly how many times per week you would use it.

Thanks

I do supplement with educational TV, but I really did not like Discovery Streaming.  My experience with DS is a few years old now, but I found the free stuff on youtube to be of higher quality and just more fun and inspired than DS.  

We had the free trial last summer and found a Spanish course that we liked.  So yes, I paid the 99 dollar fee for year's access to finish the class.  It was for a specific class on there that wasn't on youtube or other free option.  now that class is over and we still have time on subscription, we aren't really using DS.  Many years ago, when the children were younger, we enjoyed being able to watch those Weston Woods video books like we use to see in the library.  and there were some times that we'd enjoy those for literature theatre on a rainy day, or to help get the  attention  of the child with autism to become interested in a fun book.  (along the lines of reading rainbow idea)

but we just don't use it a lot or regularly.  I tend to get frustrated with the search results.  it's like there too much stuff and I don't like trying to figure out what and when to plan to use stuff.

I have decided not to even do the free trial. I don't like having to be able to get online to watch a video--and if I do, with YouTube, Netflix, etc., I don't see Discovery as something I'd use regularly (more than, say, once every month or two).

We used it a fair amount the year we paid for it. It felt like we got our money's worth but did not do another year. The video quality didn't bother me at first, but overtime it did. I loved finding videos to go with out unit studies but have less time to search for things these days.

If my library offered it, I would use it 2-3 times a month.