Menu

Spelling Suggestions for 2nd Grade

BusyMom5

I reformatted an old, public domain spelling program to use with my boys.  I blogged about it here.  Additional links are in my siggie.

It is designed to utilize some CM techniques of visualization to imprint the spellings into visual memory, but with the Ayer's list of common words.  Grade 2 focuses on thinking logically about what role phonograms play in spelling words.  (Later grades pick up rules as applicable.)  Mine is a slow-and-steady approach.  I combine introductory cursive with introductory spelling b/c those two skills are intertwined and together they create a synergy, maximizing efficiency of lesson times.  Every lesson culminates in sentence dictation, and as the grade levels progress the words are reviewed over and over through sentence dictations.  Applying the words in context makes them stick.  I've found that learning phonograms and rules are helpful, but do not make good spellers.  Good spellers visualize the words in their minds, and rapidly in context of sentences.  The rules stick better once the child has a few words in visual memory that apply the rule.  It's a circular process.

I recommend 20 minute lessons.  If a child takes longer than that to complete a whole lesson, scale back to 1/2 of a lesson per day until that takes 10 minutes or less.  It is all 1-on-1 work.  It is not independent as it was reformatted for struggling spellers.  My lessons are scripted out for open-and-go lessons with the exception of a portion at the end of the Grade 2 book for mother/teacher to assess which phonograms your child needs particular work on.  By the time you get to that point, you will likely have words from other areas that you want to include, and that section gives you opportunity to make those words a formal part of the spelling lesson.  By the time you get to that point, the rhythm of the lessons roll easily.

Check out Spelling Power. It's 15 minutes max. It's open and go. Very organized. It comes with a quick start DVD to explain the process, and once you get what you need to do there is no more prep beyond that. It's also one book that will last you from Grade 2 all the way through high school.