Menu

Walking to Wisdom

While I'm asking questions, does anyone have experience with CAP's new literature program?  In particular, the one for Return of the King?  We've been using LLf LoTR, but we've become less satisfied with it.  I think what we're looking for is something that goes deeper than just surface comprehension.  The comprehension question are fine, and they do provide a springboard to discussion, but it doesn't seem to satisfy my dd.  I need a guide for help that gets into Tolkien's philosophy and ideas but is accessible to an average 9th grader.

• 10 months later...

I'm looking at this, and was wondering how it went for you? I would love to get my son reading on a deeper level-he reads tons, and at above grade level, but he goes so fast, I'm thinking this could help train him to slow down.

• 5 months later...

I've been using the WtW guide for my LotR co op class and I am extremely pleased. I supplement with Lit.lessons and the Progeny Press guide; they both have their strengths.

My students learn to mark in their books; they keep a character and setting journal; and they find 3-5 vocab words per chapter.

I coordinate the Lit Lessons' literary elements and info from the Additional Notes with the chapters covered in WTW; slowing down at Bk.1 CH 2; in Bombadil's House I teach on the Story Chart and we chart 'setting' and 'character'. T.B.'s house is a great place to introduce them to charting using those two parts of the chart.

At the end of Book One we charted all of Bk 1 using the Socratic questions from TtC seminar booklet.

And I slow down at Bk 2ch 2; so far.

I am going to use all three guides for LotR.

I am.going to use the CS Lewis ones too.

HTH