Menu

9th Grade English and literature

*My first post on the high school board!!*

When planning each year I start with the WTM recommendations and go from there. So, I am a little confused about what to count for an English credit.  I thought that it would look like this:

English 9: Essentials in Writing, some vocabulary, spelling practice (he is a horrible speller)

World Literature: as per the WTM, read, discuss, and write from the ancient book list

However, reading through some of the topics on this board, it seems like many people add literature into the English credit. Will I not be doing enough for English to assign a credit at the end of the year?

I would call the course World Literature.  You can state in your course description that there was a composition element, or you can title the whole thing World Literature and Composition if that works better.  

• Like 1

While you can split them into 2 credits, most people only give one credit for all of literature, compostion, grammar, etc. You can call it English, LIt and Comp. or anything else..

I call mine English 9,10,11,12 and then detail in the course description that English was compromised of grammar, literature and composition with an emphasis in _____ . this year emphasized world lit and composition or this year emphasized shakespeare with studies on x, y,  and z.

• Like 1

*My first post on the high school board!!*

When planning each year I start with the WTM recommendations and go from there. So, I am a little confused about what to count for an English credit.  I thought that it would look like this:

English 9: Essentials in Writing, some vocabulary, spelling practice (he is a horrible speller)

World Literature: as per the WTM, read, discuss, and write from the ancient book list

However, reading through some of the topics on this board, it seems like many people add literature into the English credit. Will I not be doing enough for English to assign a credit at the end of the year?

A 1 credit course is expected to take 120-180 hours.  I can't imagine that you would spend that much time on EIW, vocab and spelling.  By combining World Lit, composition and grammar you can easily get the 120 minimum.  All of that is just my opinion, of course.  In the end it's your homeschool and you can do it how you want.  The main thing to take into consideration is what Colleges are you considering and what do they expect?One of the Colleges that my DC might attend specifies that an English credit will be comprised of Fiction and nonfiction reading selections with analysis, written composition, and some mechanics. 

• Like 1

A 1 credit course is expected to take 120-180 hours. I can't imagine that you would spend that much time on EIW, vocab and spelling. By combining World Lit, composition and grammar you can easily get the 120 minimum. All of that is just my opinion, of course. In the end it's your homeschool and you can do it how you want. The main thing to take into consideration is what Colleges are you considering and what do they expect?One of the Colleges that my DC might attend specifies that an English credit will be comprised of Fiction and nonfiction reading selections with analysis, written composition, and some mechanics.

Thanks.

I was really confused after reading the sample transcript in TWTM, then coming on the forums and seeing that it is done in a completely different way.

Does anyone count their credits the way the sample transcript shows? History and Great Books study = 1 world History credit and 1 Modern Literature credit. Rod & Staff Grammar = English credit.