Menu

Narrowing down my math choices

Tiramisu

Since we've had the problem retaining with Singapore Primary Math US ed, I've been thinking we need to do something differently. Here are my choices:

1. Stay with the US edition. Finish the year early and supplement. $$

2. Move to the standards editions but use with Math Buddies for the lessons since she doesn't want me to teach it. $$$

3. Move to MIF but use with Math Buddies . Our schools use MIF so it would be convenient if we ever go the school route again. $$$

4. Move to the Common Core edition and supplement with Primary Digital for the lessons. $$$

5. Move to Math Mammoth because it's conceptual and self-teaching. But may still have to supplement for extra review. $$

6. Move to CLE and never have to worry about supplementation ever. May have to deal with lingering doubts about mathematical thinking. $

These choices don't seem all that narrowed after all.

I say move to Math Mammoth. I doubt you'd need to supplement unless it was to get a different presentation. MM has a lot more problems. And I'm not sure why that's marked as more expensive as CLE. MM is pretty cheap.

Thanks! I was thinking of the supplement cost when I added the extra $.

I was making an order from Rainbow Resource earlier and decided to add a Math Mammoth worktext to my order. It was only $12! 

At least I'll get a good idea about how it might work from having it in my hands. And if we wind up staying with Singapore, we could use sections of it as a supplement.

• Like 1

Hope that helps to actually see it--I definitely need to actually have things in my hands sometimes to be able to make a decision. If you want to do the same with CLE, the LigthUnits are only $4 plus shipping, so it might be worth it to get one of those, too. 

• Like 2

Hope that helps to actually see it--I definitely need to actually have things in my hands sometimes to be able to make a decision. If you want to do the same with CLE, the LigthUnits are only $4 plus shipping, so it might be worth it to get one of those, too. 

Yes, and the nice thing about the CLE option is that I've used it before with my dd who is now in high school. I have the answer keys and possibly a few light units hanging around.

I know CLE works because my older dd is doing extremely well in high school math, but there were times when I wondered if she understood the whys. So when something alerted me that my youngest was having a disconnect in understanding the basics conceptually with CLE, I moved to Singapore to see if I could remedy that. But she's not retaining, and besides that she's not getting good instruction because she insists on doing it without me. At least with CLE the instruction is there.

I'm really loving CLE here. I find it much easier to (occasionally, it's better than I expected) to add conceptual to each lesson than it was to try to add some spiral to Math in Focus. I'm using free AOPs and free education unboxed videos w/c-rods to do this. I just went through each light unit and marked right on the lesson page that we need to see video x or y. Maybe because we had already completed so much Math in Focus (through half of 5th), but I haven't needed much supplementation.

I also marked little stars next to any problems I intend to spot check for understanding. For example, I want to make sure they remember why we multiply fractions by the reciprocal to divide. I used the AOPs explanation for this when the lesson was initially taught in last year. I have stars next to fraction division when it comes up in the light units this year. When I'm going over the upcoming lesson or reviewing a completed lesson, I will ask my son questions to check for conceptual understanding in that area. It has been so easy. I am sold in the spiral as a superior instruction method for long term retention.

• Like 3

I'm really loving CLE here. I find it much easier to (occasionally, it's better than I expected) to add conceptual to each lesson than it was to try to add some spiral to Math in Focus. I'm using free AOPs and free education unboxed videos w/c-rods to do this. I just went through each light unit and marked right on the lesson page that we need to see video x or y. Maybe because we had already completed so much Math in Focus (through half of 5th), but I haven't needed much supplementation.

I also marked little stars next to any problems I intend to spot check for understanding. For example, I want to make sure they remember why we multiply fractions by the reciprocal to divide. I used the AOPs explanation for this when the lesson was initially taught in last year. I have stars next to fraction division when it comes up in the light units this year. When I'm going over the upcoming lesson or reviewing a completed lesson, I will ask my son questions to check for conceptual understanding in that area. It has been so easy. I am sold in the spiral as a superior instruction method for long term retention.

sbgrace, you may want to save those light units and make a file with your notes linking concepts to certain videos. They might be worth something to people like me.  ;)

I was hoping to tie things up with Khan Academy videos, but Khan Academy seems to have changed since I last used it. You used to be able to just freely watch videos and it seems impossible to do that now unless I'm missing something. 

The CTC sample I looked at seemed good as a supplement but that's more $$$.

• Like 1

I'll toss this out there, as it seems to be working with my older kiddos.  We do a lesson of Singapore together for the conceptual teaching. (I try to get to this every day, probably only actually do it a couple times a week.)  Every day they do a lesson in Horizons (any spiral would work).  This way, they get the conceptual teaching up front and then the practice they need for retention.  Because the spiral review is largely independent, it's no extra work for me other than spot-checking the lesson.

• Like 1

I'll toss this out there, as it seems to be working with my older kiddos.  We do a lesson of Singapore together for the conceptual teaching. (I try to get to this every day, probably only actually do it a couple times a week.)  Every day they do a lesson in Horizons (any spiral would work).  This way, they get the conceptual teaching up front and then the practice they need for retention.  Because the spiral review is largely independent, it's no extra work for me other than spot-checking the lesson.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of doing this! I've been thinking of doing MiF together with CLE next year and was wondering if it was going to be overkill, or the best of both worlds? We are currently taking a break from Singapore U.S. Primary Edition to do CLE but I'm considering switching to MiF cause the teacher guide seems more user friendly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of doing this! I've been thinking of doing MiF together with CLE next year and was wondering if it was going to be overkill, or the best of both worlds? We are currently taking a break from Singapore U.S. Primary Edition to do CLE but I'm considering switching to MiF cause the teacher guide seems more user friendly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I used levels 1A through 5A of MIF without ever needing a teacher's guide. The instruction is right in the book for the student. I just mention because they are so expensive. MIF is, imo, a very affordable curriculum without them. With, though, it becomes one of the pricier options. You can preview them entire books on the publisher's website, if that would help you decide. MIF is very user friendly in my experience.

FWIW, I found the TMs used for MiF and they are awesome.  I love them.  I do use MiF some on the side as we go through CLE.  CLE covers a lot but sometimes MiF does a better job of explaining the concept or of structuring word problems.  Overall, I prefer CLE for ease of use and spiral review for my kids but MiF is a great program.  The TMs are not strictly necessary but I do love them.