Menu

7th grade math program? Non-mathy child

I need to find a math program for my dd that will be starting 7th grade next year.  She is currently working through Strayer-Upton Practical Arithmethics book 2 (about half-way through).  So that would mean she is currently finishing up what is intended to be their 5th grade year.  I'd like her to work through the remainder of the book during the summer and start a new program in the fall, but have no idea where to start.  I don't want to ditch the book yet, as it really seems to focus on basic arithmetic so well.  I somehow reached adulthood (always graduating with honors, mind you) with no knowledge of how to do basic arithmetic and I hate for her to be hindered in the same way. 

I have the third book in the series, but my dd really needs more review.  She'll completely forget something if not reviewed enough.  My son is doing CLE for second grade, and does great with it.  He is far less able in math, but still can grasp concepts on grade level.  My dd is very bright and understands concepts easily, but is working a year behind in math.  I feel like if I had her in CLE from the start, she would be doing so much better.  Instead, she is frustrated in math and hates it.  I'm thinking of switching DD to CLE next year, but am unsure whether it is a good choice to continue into high school.  I'd rather pick a math program and stick with it through high school. 

Looking through the CLE placement tests was extremely discouraging.  Practical Arithmetics does not cover many of the concepts tested at all.  For instance, in my son's second grade CLE, they discuss basic geometry, but my dd knows very little of it.  She would miss nearly all of the geometry and pre-algebra questions.  It's not she couldn't easily learn it or grasp it if had been introduced, but it's completely new to her.

Should I start her in CLE 600 (or lower) for her 7th grade year?  Are their Algebra and Geometry for high school good choices?  It seems everyone switches over to something else at that point. 

I feel like I've really failed her.  If she were a public school kid, she'd likely be advanced in academics, but instead, she feels like a failure (especially in math).

I would use CLE, just put her where she tests into and keep going through high school. If it works for her, there's no reason to worry about what anyone else does. You can have her do geometry or other concepts she needs to shore up through something like Khan Academy over the summer, so that she may be able to start at a higher level.

• Like 2

I would try CLE. Definitely do the placement test and see where the issues are. It's okay if dc places back, there are ways of accelerating CLE if dc is doing well in it. If geometry is the only issue with placement, you could use CLE's Geometry Skill Development Book This is a single workbook which summarizes all the geometry lessons. Right now, CLE only has Algebra I at the higher levels in Sunrise format but they might have Geometry in testing by the time you get there. At any rate, you should be able to easily move on to other texts or programs after Algebra I if it's not available.

mama25angels, I originally had planned to work through all 3 SU books before moving her on to something else.  The problem is that she is going so slowly that by the time she gets to a review section, she has forgotten how to do the problems.  That makes her feel dumb, and then she doesn't even attempt to solve it. 

Thank you 3andme!  I've been on the CLE website many times looking at math, but never realized they had the skill development books.  They have one for Geometry and one for Algebra.  And they sound like they cover exactly the kind of problems we have yet to cover in SU.  I think I might have her work through those and the rest of SU book 2 and then take the placement test for CLE. 

What is the typical grade for a child to start Algebra now?  When I was in high school, we did Algebra in 9th.  Now, my nephew took it in 7th with a few taking it in 6th. 

I would go for CLE. Placement tests first! My oldest DD isn't mathy either. We started CLE with the 200 in 4th. We lost a lot of ground with mastery programs with not enough review. She'll be using the 500s this year for 7th. We never managed to accelerate, but that's ok. Her confidence and ability is worth so much more than the numbers on the books.

• Like 1