Menu

Espresso Machines! In market for a new one

Holly IN

Hello !

Our espresso machine bit the dust.  It was a Delonghi machine.  We are willing to buy it again but want to know if there is a better machine out there to get.  

I have looked at Breville but it is wee bit out of our budget ($600  eeekk)

Need ideas!

Holly

Our very nice machine died last year.  I ended up replacing it with a stove top model and a stove top frother.  It isn't quite a good, but it won't break, takes up no room on the counter, and is quite efficient.

I've been saving up for a good espresso machine for ages, because inexpensive ones aren't worth it in terms of quality control, temperature regulation, or real pressure needed to make good espresso. I ended up going with an Impress brewer in the meantime, because I can make a mean, temp controlled brew for dirt cheap.

http://shop.gamilacompany.com/impress/features/

When it comes to machines, I favor levers, especially for the money. The models I'm hoping to purchase are either a Londinium or Microcasa a Leva. But those might be beyond your budget.

In the lower price range, you would do well with something like the Ascaso, which is on sale right now att SCG:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ascaso-dream-up-espresso-machine-14-designer-colors

If you can, however, save up a little more and look into something liked an Expobar Brutus - they make coffee as good or better than machines double their price:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/refurbished-expobar-brewtus-iv-p-reservoir-and-plumbable-semi-automatic-espresso-machine

Oh, and do be sure to watch that review on the Ascaso, as it will give you a good feel for the features of the machine.

And I second the recommendation for the CoffeeGeek boards, as well as HomeBarista. I am a member at both and they're extremely helpful on this topic.

I wouldn't do it. A good burr grinder is a much better use of money - I use a little handcranks lido and it grinds better than some that are four times the cost. A good grind would hell you get the most out of *whatever* espresso machine you'd get.

But generally speaking, the Breville's aren't great for the money. Like I said, the Ascaso is going to cost you the same and is on sale, for much better espresso. The temp control and pressure regulation on the Breville is a bit sub par for the cost.

A bean hopper just lets you keep beans until they go stale ;). Single dose hopper less grinders are a better way to go unless you're doing through a pound of beans a week, in which case they'd still be fresh by the end.