Menu

Writing for an Advanced 8th grader

rjand6more

I need writing instruction for my dd13.  She is a future writer and has just completed her first novel(over 300 pages!)  She loves creative writing prompts.  So I definitely wish to include those, but she also needs more formal instruction.  I am a science/math kinda girl, so this is stretching me.:)  

TIA!

So you're in need of suggestions for curricula that teach academic, non-fiction writing? Has she worked through any composition curricula in the past? If so, which ones?

We have not.  She has had lots of grammar.  We did EiW in 5th grade.  We do writing prompts(Sonlight).  She does very well with all of that.  I was just thinking of something that we could work on that would give structure.  Maybe include some informal writing also.  She really does write well.  I have a hard time seeing high school writing programs that would challenge her.

She could plow through WWS1-3 and begin analyzying NYT articles rhetorically.

I actually had not thought of that.  Hm...analyzing articles.  I like that.  Does WWS train you to do that?

You could try Brave Writer's Help for High School.

I will look at that, thank you.

WWS has a rhetorical toolbox approach.  Trim down the WWS levels, especially level 1, cutting out what she doesn't need and then doing double pace with what remains.  Doing that she can do WWS1 and 2 in a year if she's really that precious or all three volumes over two years.  

Then, when you read the NYT editorials, articles, etc., she'll take the tools she got in WWS and apply them.  Just analyze, see how mature writers write.  There's such a huge disconnect between the formulas they usually teach in high school and how REAL writers write and organize their work.  Let her read GOOD stuff and see how EXCELLENT writers write.

Here's a link to get you started.  http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=TopBar&module=HPMiniNav&contentCollection=Opinion&WT.nav=page

The NYT analysis was suggested to me by someone else who used it successfully with her dd.  Somewhere on hs I posted my hacked/chopped version of how we did WWS, however it's not hard to do for yourself.  

WWS has a rhetorical toolbox approach.  Trim down the WWS levels, especially level 1, cutting out what she doesn't need and then doing double pace with what remains.  Doing that she can do WWS1 and 2 in a year if she's really that precious or all three volumes over two years.  

Then, when you read the NYT editorials, articles, etc., she'll take the tools she got in WWS and apply them.  Just analyze, see how mature writers write.  There's such a huge disconnect between the formulas they usually teach in high school and how REAL writers write and organize their work.  Let her read GOOD stuff and see how EXCELLENT writers write.

Here's a link to get you started.  http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=TopBar&module=HPMiniNav&contentCollection=Opinion&WT.nav=page

The NYT analysis was suggested to me by someone else who used it successfully with her dd.  Somewhere on hs I posted my hacked/chopped version of how we did WWS, however it's not hard to do for yourself.  

Thank you for your further explanation.  Helps a lot.

You might look at One Year Adventure Novel (aimed at high school) or their middle school curriculum, Cover Story. OYAN goes into some serious detail on the structure of a novel while having the kids write one. Cover Story has kids create a number of smaller pieces in various genres, including fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Both look to be ideal for my girls who love to write and do it quite naturally. Just teaches them structure and how to be creative within tight parameters. I heard about OYAN on this forum at some point...

• Like 1