Menu

Can BJU Fundamentals of Math (Gr.7) be skipped?

For my son, I have been using Abeka math and would like to do their math through the 6th grade book. Based on reviews, I'd like to switch to something else after 6th. I had planned to go from the Abeka 6th grade math to (an undecided) PreAlgebra. I have BJU science and like the format and like what I'm reading about their upper math levels, too. My son does not have any math problems, though, and I don't like the idea of holding him back from Pre-Algebra until 8th grade and then holding off on Algebra until 9th. My question is, if he is going through Abeka math fine through 6th, could he go straight into BJU PreAlgebra, skipping the BJU Fundamentals book?

Yes he can. I wouldn't feel any qualms or hesitations skipping or recommending a skip for a student (even an average one) from 6th grade math to prealgebra, unless there was a drastic difference in the scope of each program that would create some sort of crippling gap for the child.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

My daughter did BJU from 2nd to 7th grade (completing 7th now in a few weeks). I would not recommend skipping 7th (Fundamentals of Math). It is a through program that incorporates some "Pre-Algebra Prep" that will help with the rigor of BJU Pre-Algebra. BJU Pre-Algebra isn't like a lot of Pre-Algebra programs out there, which reviews math fundamentals. Starting from Chapter 1, it's already rigorous Algebra, and even coming from BJU 2nd-6th grade, my daughter would have struggled with BJU Pre-Algebra if we had skipped 7th Grade. And she's pretty good at math, having done RightStart in the early years, together with BJU Math 2-6 and Singapore at the same time throughout the years.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:39 PM, MorningGlory said:

Absolutely. BJU's Fundamentals is almost like a "holding year" math. I would definitely skip it unless the student needs an extra year to math-mature. 

I agree.  It is mainly a review of 6th grade with a couple topics that are also taught in PreAlgebra itself.  It is a clear program and well done, but not necessary.

Blessings,

Brenda

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Oh wow. I never even thought about this. We use BJU and are on grade 6. Ds has no trouble in math, but I sure never thought about skipping 7th.

Another option if you already own the text, is to simply test him through the chapters and only have him complete chapters that he scores less than 90.  He could read the chapter for a quick mental review, then test.  It is mastery based so this works well.  I have done this with MCP math program to fill holes and progress children quickly through material that is too easy for them.  This allows you more time to tutor and do the fun activities in the manual on areas that they are not as strong.  I love how solid a foundation this has laid for our children in math without boring them.  

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1