Menu

Needs suggestions for new reading/phonics curriculum

My ds11 is probably dyslexic but he's never been tested.  We found out a couple of months ago that he needed vision therapy and he's been doing that for about a month.   He is still at the very beginning stages of reading.  He can only read cvc words and does so laboriously.  I bought Preventing Academic Failure because it is Orton-Gillingham based and it has a very slow progression which is what I though my son needed.  Before that we used AAR which moved way too fast.  PAF uses the Merrill Readers which my son and I have come to hate.  The stories are so contrived and boring.  Here's an example of one:

"A man had pins for caps.  The man sees Dad. Can Dad win a pin for Jan's cap?  Dad wins a pin.  He pins it on her cap.  Jan had a pin on her cap."

There are no pictures, which I understand the reason for that, but when the stories are so horrible, not having pictures makes them even worse.  I cannot stand another lesson with these books!  I need suggestions on using the curriculum without the books or suggestions for a new curriculum.

Thanks

Barton.  You won't like the price, but it will solve your problem.  Target age is older and the language is sophisticated and enjoyable.  How the woman made SO many interesting stories out of such limited fields of letters is honestly beyond me.  

Here's a sentence from lesson 1 of level 3.  This is an advanced story at the end of the lesson, and at this point they have done short vowels (closed syllables) with cvc and cvcc.  "It is a nip and tuck job to fit in his cab."  Isn't that ADORABLE?  I love how sophisticated her language is.  Or another sentence "He felt sad when he hit a big elk and put a dent in his rig."  Her market is older children and adults, and it shows.  They're things the older demographic will ENJOY reading.  We enjoy the stories a lot.

Barton ships from CA but she'll send you a link for the videos right away.  She also has a pretest you need to do.  It's free.  http://bartonreading.com/students_long.html#screen

• Like 1

Another option are the I See Sam readers www.iseesam.com or www.3rsplus.com  You can google for the free pdf files of the first 52 books to either read on the computer or print out.  They start out super simple and likely he would go right through the first 52 quickly.  They do have pictures but the pictures do not tell the story (as in no guessing the words from the picture).

• Like 1

If you just need the stories the Wilson books are quite good and geared towards older children (so much so that she has 2 sets, one that excludes the inappropriate teen references, lol!) I'll see if I can find the link for where to buy them but anyway that's one resource.

Like OhElizabeth my first thought for a likely-dyslexic child for whom AAR is too fast is Barton. But if you've got a good OG program already then you truly might just need extra readers like the Wilson ones. Also, not sure if you can buy them separately but Barton does have a new set of leveled readers that are like little books and excellent! I got the first one for DD and it's basically a retelling of some fables but with easier words that fit the OG order of introducing phonemes. Plus she feels cool having a real book in hand that she can read independently :)

• Like 1

ElizabethB has a program that might help.    I have not used it but I know others have and found it very useful.  She is also very helpful if you need feedback.  Haven't seen her in a bit but if you do a search with her on-line name you could find threads where she links her site.

But, yeah, I like Barton.  That's what we use.