Menu

Ordered LiPS

Or, pieces of it, anyway. 

I'm going to make my own colored square magnets and letter magnets using the information in the book. 

I ordered the guide, the mouth magnets, and the magnetic whiteboard (DD loves anything magnetic, and we have such a tiny house that it seemed worthwhile). 

I'm.. nervous? Anxious to get started with her.

Any idea how long I should plan on LiPS for?

Plan on it taking as long as it takes.  I realize that isn't much of an answer but every child functions differently.  Go at whatever pace you can both successfully maintain.  Good luck!

It's the answer I needed, I think.... :) I get eager to move on to the next stage. I need to give her time and realize that we'll catch up when we catch up.

• Like 1

How exciting! I remember those feelings of anxiety and hope when waiting for LiPS materials to arrive. We only worked LiPS up to the CVC point and then moved to Barton. (I'd already purchased Barton level and then discovered the screening and my ds' need for LiPS. ) It took several months to get that far, (and much longer than that to get through the Barton levels that covered the information in the later portion of LiPS.) It's a journey not a race. Take as much time with this as your child needs. :)

• Like 2

How exciting! I remember those feelings of anxiety and hope when waiting for LiPS materials to arrive. We only worked LiPS up to the CVC point and then moved to Barton. (I'd already purchased Barton level and then discovered the screening and my ds' need for LiPS. ) It took several months to get that far, (and much longer than that to get through the Barton levels that covered the information in the later portion of LiPS.) It's a journey not a race. Take as much time with this as your child needs. :)

I'm nervous that I won't be able to teach her effectively. 

Sounds like the LiPS part of the progress can take a while.. that's actually what I was thinking, considering how bad her discrimination abilities are at this point. 

We're just going to go slowly but steadily... she'll get there. :)

• Like 2

Sounds like the LiPS part of the progress can take a while.. that's actually what I was thinking, considering how bad her discrimination abilities are at this point. 

• Like 1

We just started lips two days ago. I was so pleased. It was easy to use because it's scripted and my daughter answered everything exactly the way the script said. :)

I just did 15 minutes and we'll keep doing a little every day. I don't think it will take long to get to the Barton-ready point.

Just read ahead and follow the script!

• Like 1

Not knowing the material and having it be new to you (in approach, whatever) is not the same as not being able to teach.  It just means you might have your own learning curve.  The more you wrap your brain around the material, the more confident you may feel.  I certainly didn't feel confident.  

Ants do amazing things and carry heavy loads long distances.  They do it doing what ants do, carrying a load that might be small but is heavy to them, and doing it with great perseverance.  You're about to embark on a journey of ants, where you have to be willing to make lots of small steps that will be heavy loads for her and make them again, in infitessimally small steps, to get her where she's going.  She'll get there.  No one can say how many steps.  Iirc were were at the LIPS stage maybe a couple months (ish) and that was integrating in Barton 1.  

Even now I get stuck on the HOW CAN IT BE THIS HARD, and I just have to sort of back up, admit it is, and let him take those little ant steps, carting these loads that are heavy for him.

• Like 2