Menu

Please recommend a Minecraft class and a coding class for DS12

abrightmom

He wants to design a MOD for Minecraft and build a server. Please pardon me if my Minecraft terminology isn't up to snuff ;). He is also very interested in learning programming languages which I think he'd learn while pursuing Minecraft oriented projects. If we could get a two for one here I'd love that~ learn a programming language while doing something Minecrafty.  :coolgleamA:

I've looked at Kid Coder/Teen Coder for coding and I've just become aware of Youth Digital. As these classes are $$ I'd appreciate a fresh recommendation. I do find threads on this topic but sometimes the searching and culling is tedious! 

Would you recommend DS has his own computer for these kinds of projects? We have ONE iMac in the house and I think Minecraft almost shut it down!!

I signed T up for Landry Academy's Learning Python with Minecraft class. It's full now, but you could do it next year. If you do want to enroll in a Landry class, they offer huge discounts if you buy generic semesters a year in advance or during their holiday sales (Black Friday and Christmas).

• Like 1

My 13 yr old DS is doing Mod Design from Youth Digital and it teaches Java. It's very well put together and I highly recommend it. even though he is at the upper end of the recommended age range, it is NOT too easy for him. There is a lot of coding to keep track of and it's a pretty extensive course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I signed T up for Landry Academy's Learning Python with Minecraft class. It's full now, but you could do it next year. If you do want to enroll in a Landry class, they offer huge discounts if you buy generic semesters a year in advance or during their holiday sales (Black Friday and Christmas).

Black friday date?

I'd second Mod 1 Design from Youth Digital. He'll learn some amazing skills, make a mod he can share with friends/family, & have a great time doing it. It's pricey, but if you look for it over on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op you can get it with a lovely & hefty discount. :D

• Like 1

We did Youth Digital's Mod Design when it first came out.  DS1 loved it, and now DS2 is about to start.  DS1 wants to do server design.  They were wonderful about emailing DS1 back and forth about his questions, etc.

We got a deal from Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op which made it 50% OFF.

• Like 1

We signed him up for the Youth Digital Server Design course. There was a sale but it wasn't 50%off. HSBC had the MOD Design for half off but he wanted the Server Design. He loves it! They do answer questions quickly and so far I am impressed with the professionalism. He will want take more classes when he is done and he is getting more screen time because he is learning rather than just playing. 😀 Happy son.

• Like 1