Menu

Can someone explain Federal Aid to me?

So, last year my daughter was a senior and had to fill out the FAFSA to collect financial info for an aid based dual enrollment scholarship at our local CC. It showed she qualified for a $4000 ish Pell Grant even though she obviously couldn't use it due to not being graduated yet.

This year, as she is looking at being a freshman, we filled out the FAFSA and she got nothing at all. It doesn't even show she can get a loan. I'm so confused. Only changes were that hubby made about $3000 more this year, and she made $981 at a job. AND, this upcoming year she will have a brother in college also. SO I don't understand why she didn't get any aid....

Can someone help me understand? She was banking on getting aid based on last year's info, but now is panicking....

I would talk to the financial aid department at the school she wants to go to.  I know that we would not get any approval for financial aid until we provided several additional documents.  I went in to talk to the financial aid and they pulled up my son's FAFSA file and told me what we needed to do to get approval.  We did and, a few weeks later, finally got our approval letter but it wasn't for much.  Every bit helps so go in and see what they can do for you.

Start by double-checking all of your answers. Did brother's FAFSA turn out the same way?  Since he's got the same parent information, they should be close. You can compare the two and see what is different between them and amend.

Edvisors has a great FAFSA step-by-step: https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/forms/tutorial/

Or, download their e-book: https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/book/direct/

Here's an article on common FAFSA mistakes:

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/the-10-fafsa-mistakes-that-affect-financial-aid

Good luck!

• Like 1

Is a Dual Enrolled sibling (not graduated but taking classes at CC) considered "Parents Number in college 2015-2016 (parents excluded)" from line 74 counted in the number of siblings in college?  

I believe a dual-enrolled sibling is considered a high school student, not a college student.

• Like 2

I would recheck your answers. The links upthread are good places to start- especially the one that has the step by step instructions. For instance a lot of people list the value of their home as an asset.  For FAFSA purposes, you do not list that. If you do, it's seen as money you can tap to pay for school. It might be a simply mistake like that. 

To not be eligible for any loan is odd, because even if your EFC is above what the school costs, the student is eligible for a loan. Not subsidized, but unsubsidized. Assuming other conditions are met, like being enrolled at least half time, etc. 

I'm not sure how last year's FAFSA generated a result that indicated grant money. Since she was dual enrolled, it should have noted that she was ineligible for aid, correct? 

Brother dual enrolled will not count as a second student in college. 

Hope you can figure it out- I'm sure she's concerned!

Something isn't right.

Things I would check:

They see her as an incoming freshman.

Also check that she is enrolled in a degree seeking program (like Associate of Arts or Sciences degree.)  If she is registered as non-degree seeking (taking classes for fun) there will be no financial aid eligibility at a CC.

Call the Financial Aid office.  This is what they do! ;)

• Like 1