Menu

How many hours for a high school history credit?

How many hours a week do we need to spend on history for a high school credit?

My daughter is in 8th grade and will be reading a chapter in Biblioplan, the related chapters in Story of the World, will complete an advanced level (high school) map, answer advanced (high school) chapter questions, and take a test each week.  

Do we need to add more?

Thanks!

The rule is 120-180 hours for a credit. Most schools don't count courses taken before 9th grade except for math, foreign language and sometimes science. I wouldn't use Story of the World for a high school credit. You could use SWB's History of the Ancient World (Middle Ages and Renaissance). Those come with a very nice study guide with mapwork and essay questions laid out for you.

If your dc is planning to graduate early, you can count courses done in their last 4 years of enrollment in your homeschool.

• Like 4

Because math and foreign language follow a specific sequence. You can't take Algebra 2 unless you took Algebra 1. It's obvious that you've done the previous levels if you can successfully complete the higher level course. However, kids who do Algebra 1 in middle school still take 4 math classes in high school. They just take Calculus or Statistics as their final class. The same logic applies to foreign language and science. You can't take Spanish 3 without Spanish 2. You can't take AP Bio without the first bio class.

• Like 3

Because math and foreign language follow a specific sequence. 

I totally agree with this. I wouldn't give high school credit for history taken in 8th grade, unless maybe it was taken DE. My dd did history combined with ds when she was in 7th and 8th and he was in 9th and 10th. No modifications. He got high school credits and she didn't simply because she wasn't in high school. It is very difficult to quantify what should be taught in a year of high school history to make it credit worthy, therefor it is hard to give credit for a class taken prior to high school.

I would keep all your documentation of the class. Write up a course description. If she wants to graduate early and need the credit, you'll have it. Otherwise, just count the courses she takes during high school.

Because math and foreign language follow a specific sequence. You can't take Algebra 2 unless you took Algebra 1. It's obvious that you've done the previous levels if you can successfully complete the higher level course. However, kids who do Algebra 1 in middle school still take 4 math classes in high school. They just take Calculus or Statistics as their final class. The same logic applies to foreign language and science. You can't take Spanish 3 without Spanish 2. You can't take AP Bio without the first bio class.

I totally agree with this. I wouldn't give high school credit for history taken in 8th grade, unless maybe it was taken DE. My dd did history combined with ds when she was in 7th and 8th and he was in 9th and 10th. No modifications. He got high school credits and she didn't simply because she wasn't in high school. It is very difficult to quantify what should be taught in a year of high school history to make it credit worthy, therefor it is hard to give credit for a class taken prior to high school.

I would keep all your documentation of the class. Write up a course description. If she wants to graduate early and need the credit, you'll have it. Otherwise, just count the courses she takes during high school.

Thank you both!  I was confused as to why some subjects and not others - makes sense now.

• Like 1