Menu

US History books like Betsy Maestro but middle level

I know someone out there must have already found what I am after, and can help me with my unusual thoughts for history next year.  We are doing world history Renaissance/Reformation to Progressive Era (1400-1900 roughly), but I am thinking of adding in a kind of a parallel side track on a portion of US History, only covering Revolution to Reconstruction. Oh, and with three different grade levels.  My 8th grader will be using Human Odyssey (k12) vol 2 as a spine text, but I want to add some good US history and government resources in there for her.  She is not a history lover, but she does love to read. I am thinking something along the lines of the Betsy Maestro books (which my 3rd grader will be using), where there are smaller chunks which cover an event or time period (e.g. French and Indian War, the forming of the Constitution, etc).  I don't want an additional text.  My 5th grader, who loves history, might use a couple of the Hakim books, but even they are too dense for what I am after.  Any ideas?  It doesn't have to be a series.  Just something solid to augment HO vol 2.

Something like the Cornerstones of Freedom series? I tried to put together a chronicle list several years ago, which I posted here on the board. I'm posting from my phone right now, or I'd try to link it. Scholastic's website gives different volumes different reading levels, but they seem to range from 4th-8th grade.

The Collier brothers published a similarly broken down series of books. I think they are out of print now, but I found most of them used a few years ago. You might look for The American Revolution: 1763-1783 and Building a New Nation: 1789-1801, and see what you think. I thought they were a bit dry and over the heads of my, then, 3rd graders, but I've hung on to them for middle school. The series is called The Drama of American History.

• Like 1

The Collier brothers published a similarly broken down series of books. I think they are out of print now, but I found most of them used a few years ago. You might look for The American Revolution: 1763-1783 and Building a New Nation: 1789-1801, and see what you think. I thought they were a bit dry and over the heads of my, then, 3rd graders, but I've hung on to them for middle school. The series is called The Drama of American History.

Thank you - I will go check these out

Something like the Cornerstones of Freedom series? I tried to put together a chronicle list several years ago, which I posted here on the board. I'm posting from my phone right now, or I'd try to link it. Scholastic's website gives different volumes different reading levels, but they seem to range from 4th-8th grade.

Is this it? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/423772-updated-chronological-cornerstones-of-freedom-list/

Tell me about Cornerstones of Freedom. How did you use them? What did you like about them?

I was looking at the cornerstones of freedom books. They are rather similar to the Betsy Maestro ones - thanks! - and they might work for my 5th grader.

Is there anything that is geared towards an older crowd (13-14 ish)?

Has anyone used the Grueber books (The Story of the 13 Colonies and The Story of the Great Republic)?  I just found these.  The Memoria Press edited version (both books) might be what I am looking for, but I would love to hear any feedback about them before settling on them.

For the 13-14 y.o., what about the Pages fromHistory/A History in Documents series? For your time frame, you would probably be looking at The Early American Republic, The Bill of Rights, The Struggle Against Slavery, and The Civil War. You could also go with The Gilded Age if you want to end just a bit later.

For the 13-14 y.o., what about the Pages fromHistory/A History in Documents series? For your time frame, you would probably be looking at The Early American Republic, The Bill of Rights, The Struggle Against Slavery, and The Civil War. You could also go with The Gilded Age if you want to end just a bit later.

Ok I found these at Rainbow Resource, and Amazon with small previews.  It looks like a narrative account/interpretation of included source documents - is that right? I will think about these. Thanks!

Ok I found these at Rainbow Resource, and Amazon with small previews.  It looks like a narrative account/interpretation of included source documents - is that right? I will think about these. Thanks!

Yes, mostly primary sources with a little bit of secondary history. But since Human Odyssey is narrative, this format makes a good history contrast for that age.